Any Known Issues With Taking Biotin?

Katybug

I have been on Biotin supplements for a year. I have not noticed any negative side effects. It helps w hair and nails some. Interestingly after being on it for several MOS I had a comprehensive nutritional screen which showed Biotin as being "deficient.". So I must not be absorbing it well or my body must be using it too quickly. I've had bad hair problems since onset: hair loss, dryness/thinning and bad reactions to coloring. I'm not surprised at my hair loss issues and am surprised I haven't lost more bc my Prostaglandin D2 (mast cell mediator) is quite elevated. PGD2 is also associated w male hair balding.

Thanks, Kelly. Are u just taking straight biotin? It needs several other nutrients to be properly absorbed. Methionine and lysine and I can't remember the others right this minute but will look it up and get back tomorrow. Maybe not taking it with these other things is your absorption problem? My mom takes it and she and I have a lot of similar issues, so I'm pretty sure it's safe but I just want to make sure there isn't some weird issue with our already weird issues. :-)

I've had no issues whatsoever with biotine or Zn. I had a time when I was loosing some hair ...turned out to be the shampoo I was using.

I'm using castor oil for my hair and a non-sulphate shampoo and knock on wood, I don't really have any major problems with my hair.

Alex

I think I should definitely start supplementing biotin as one of the things that causes deficiency is anticonvulsants and I've been on Depakote for about a year and a half now. My hair and nails were great, strong and grew quickly when I started this medicine. Over the last 6-9 months growth has been slower and my nails in particular are not as strong. This is the second side effect of this medicine that I've learned about the hard way. Last month I found out that my significant weight gain is probably from the Depakote also. I'm afraid to stop the medicine because it's the only thing that has controlled my GI issues.

Spinner,

Interesting. Did you read the link I posted? The symptoms you listed are of the symptoms of biotin deficiency. You might want to look into it if you haven't already. It would certainly be an easy and inexpensive fix to this set of symptoms. That's not something we find around here everyday. :-)