Heart Rate Drops In Half While Coughing- Is That Normal?

SpinnyC

So I've got some respiratory congestion- likely seasonal allergies starting with a bang. I went to the doctor and they said no infection and they increased asthma medications to help deal with the breathing difficulties.

I cough more at night than I do during the day and have noticed the past few nights that I feel really odd- sort of light headed and forceful heart beats when I really try to cough.

I checked my heart rate and not coughing it's around 92, but when I'm actively coughing (or just after) it drops to the high 40's, low 50's. The monitor is the kind that goes on your finger so I don't think the change is caused by faulty readings during the motion of coughing.

Does anyone know if this is a normal physiological response? Or maybe a Pots thing?

My Pots tests showed less cardiac variability than normal during deep breathing tests... and since when I'm coughing I'm starting out by taking a deep breath I would have expected my heart rate not to change too much.

Well I've checked my heart rate while coughing again today. I don't feel as many symptoms while coughing because I'm lest congested than I am at night and the monitor doesn't show a drop the way it did last night.

Does anyone have any ideas on that- or a similar experience? I assume it has to do vasovagal response.

I've actually had the opposite happen, but it was after surgery. My heart rate jumped every time I coughed and sent the poor nurse into a panic. They wanted me to try to cough every fifteen minutes to keep my lungs clear, but changed their mind after my heart rate started spiking! Maybe a reaction to anesthesia for me?

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I haven't dealt with bradycardia very often. Usually only at night while I'm sleeping, but I'm sure it's uncomfortable! Hopefully, you kick this cold and feel back to normal soon! :-)

Thanks Aimes! I appreciate you responding with your experience. So interesting how we can get these crazy- yet opposite reactions. I haven't dealt with bradycardia much either, usually my heart rate goes sky high in response to anything/everything. And just when I come to expect that, something new and different :) .

I agree with ur thinking that it may be a vasovagal response. Coughing /sneezing sends mine through the roof however if i take a deep breath in before i cough/sneeze it will drop my heartrate momentarily. Ive always assumed it was vasovagal. I must have sneezed 500 times yesterday..allergy attack..my heart was so confused...ugh and pulled every muscle lol i feel like i was at the gym.

I hope ur feeling better soon, take care of urself =)