I Appreciated The Effort!

Libby

I just thought this was funny. I finally had my appt with a gastroenterologist today. The nurse took my history, we had a good laugh about POTS - the acronym, not the syndrome itself, because she had no clue what it was - before the doctor came in.

I was ready for the usual reaction from the doc. You know it - when they hear POTS and just sort of act like they know what you're talking about. And I got it. He heard tachycardia and connected the beta blocker and that was it. But he was nice and thorough otherwise, so when he left I felt really good about the appointment.

BUT THEN, five minutes later (I was waiting for the nurse to come and get me to schedule the my endoscopy/gastric emptying/abdominal ultrasound (fun!)), he came back. To ask me about my POTS. Because it's a dysautonomia. And gastroparesis is a symptom. LOL.

Translation: he left and googled it.

But I'm okay with that! Heck, I'm ecstatic about it. I don't expect every doctor to know everything. I do expect them to educate themselves once they realize they're out of their depth. And this one did, so I'm happy.

LOL I had to laugh because I know that look too! And have had the "googled it" experience. But have to say I've ended up loving any doctor that's willing to go the extra mile and look up something that they aren't familiar about and come back with a more educated stance. If they don't know it but are willing to remember/admit that they don't already know everything in their respective field is someone I want to keep around!