Can Being Deconditioned Mimic Pots Hr?

Statix

Hey everyone, hope all is well. I was thinking today and wanting to ask this question because I live a very sedentary lifestyle. I literally sit most of the day and get practically zero exercise. I do have the 30bpm increase in HR, but it usually only happens in the AM, and within a few hours of being awake, my standing HR will usually be around 82-90. A few months ago, when I joined the site, it was around 100-120 standing pretty regularly, but it seems my HR has been dropping to a more reasonable level lately. I also ask this, because I do not have any other symptoms that seem to go with POTS. I don't get lightheaded, I don't get headaches, nothing other than HR increase when I stand. In the afternoons, it will even be below a 30 bpm increase with standing. What what do you guys think? Can being deconditioned mimic the HR that comes with POTS?

Yes, deconditioning can mimic the HR increases of POTS. If you look at the POTS criteria listed by Vanderbilt etc they will usually stipulate that the HR increase needs to not be attributable to other causes such as deyhydration, deconditioning, etc which can also cause those types of HR increases.

Would be lovely if you DIDN'T have POTS, wouldn't it? Glad that you don't have all the other symptoms usually associated with it!!

Hope you continue to see signs that you are improving. :)

it does mimic it to a degree - low blood volume, low stroke volume, tachycardia and decreased cardiac size. But I think genuine cases of deconditioning respond very quickly because they dont have an underlying pathology. POTS patients take much longer to respond to exercise, many simply didnt experience bedrest before onset of symptoms and many wax and wane in a way that doesnt support an etiology of deconditioning.

NET inhibition creates a situation very similar to POTS and somewhat similar to deconditioning. Exercise as far as I am aware doesnt improve ne transporter expression