Something Weird Just Happened To Me

Darlene

something weird just happened to me. everything started to look funny, then i felt this burning sensation inside my body, & my heart was racing. i looked in the mirror and my eye were dilated. i didn't know if i was going to pass out or what. i went outside and stood for a minute in the cold weather. i get these burning sensations quite a bit. anyone else? i wish this would stop. it scares me when this happens.

Yup, this is sometimes how my 'bad' episodes start off - vision changes, tachy, pupils dialated, and other things. I try to get to a cooler place (even outside in the winter with no coat) and just sit on the floor/ground incase I faint. No fun :( Sorry this is happening.

• 2 weeks later...

I get tingling all over and weak spells in the afternoons about 5-7 hours after being awake. If I don't lie down right away, once I finally do, I am immobile for several hours. I can't sleep although I'm exhausted, even if I haven't had a dose of Midodrine or Ritalin in 4-5 hours. I can't figure out if it's what some here call an "autonomic storm" or an anxiety attack or side effects of meds. A low dose (.025 mg or .05 mg) of Ativan helps, but then I think I'm screwing with my body because I take the Ritalin and Midodrine to keep me moving!

Oh thank you, thank you! I thought I was the only one with the "burning" issue - In the past few months I have experienced very similar episodes - My skin and bones feel like they are on fire with little pinpinprick sensations all up and down my arms and legs - quite uncomfortable. They don't last very long but, for the few minutes they do, I feel like I am going to crawl right out of my skin! I thought it had to be some type of weird menopause symptom (even though I had a hysterectomy years ago) but, now it appears from what I am reading that it is another whacky symptom of dysautonomia -

I see you have possible Mast Cell Abnormality; my doctor told me the acute burning sensation in my feet and lower legs - accompanied by flushing, panic, distress, redness, aching/fatigue, mental confusion, chest pain and constriction, choking sensations, numbness/immobility on right side, pain in right shoulder, limbs falling asleep, and crying - which occurs normally 5 hours after first standing up, may be due to Mast Cell Abnormality. And yes blurry vision or visual auras (big blurry spots) appear sometimes before these episodes. One time epiglottal distress preceded this type of episode (valve in throat sticking closed during meal; no oxygen, terrible fear/panic). I have not been tested for MCA yet but I would like to get tested.

My cardiologist Dr. Ahern prescribed an anti-viral, Valacyclovir, to help with these acute symptoms, and it does seem to put the acute symptoms into remission. After about a week of increased symptoms, the anti-viral started to work, subduing the acute OI symptoms as well as my long-term vertigo distress. Both my Cardiologist and my Otoneurologist indicated they have patients whose symptoms are aided through anti-virals - even if they don't have a viral infection at the time. In my case my chronic Shingles are benefitting from the anti-virals. The Shingles may be part of the bigger picture i.e., neuro flare-ups. My ongoing menopause could also be playing into these acute episodes, perhaps. I am hoping I can take this anti-viral for longer than the last one - I developed a resistance after 4 months on Acyclovir.

Thank you for sharing this info. It is helpful to know one is not alone, even though these attacks are terrifying. Good luck

Naomi