Anyone Tried Sodium Cromoglycate?

blueskies

Hi,

I have food drug allergies and intolerances and doc has just suggested I try sodium cromoglycate. There are so many foods I can't eat as I get a burning skin with redness reactions. Many medications affect me that way too. I was wondering if anyone has tried this med and about their experiences of it. My allergist did try me on singulair but it aggravated by very frequent migraines and I could not tolerate it.

Many thanks,

blue

This is AKA NasalCrom / GastroCrom - for those that aren't familiar with the chemical name. If you get that many reactions to food, it is quite likely that Mast Cell Activation Disorder could be at play, and this medication has helped others that I have talked with.

I tried it, but I think it confirmed that I don't have MCAD when it didn't really change much. That said, I didn't have any side effects either (and lots of meds bother me) but I also only used the NasalCrom version.

The full MCAD protocol also uses both H1 & H2 blockers (Allegra and Zantac, respectively, are frequent choices).

Others will probably chime in soon with more info.

Thanks Zap,

The H1 and H2 blockers help with true allergies. Just not with the 'intolerances' which cause painful skin responses but don't have the potential to kill me like a few of my allergies could if left untreated. My allergist is hoping Gastrocrom (as you call it in the U.S) will be able to help for the intolerances. It seems to be 'out of fashion' here as I have to order it (it's still a script med) from a particular pharmacy now. I'll be using the oral solution I assume.

blue

It's been a big help for me. It may take awhile before you notice a difference - so give it some time. It is MUCH stronger than NasalCrom - and is in a liquid form that you mix into water. NasalCrom helps with respiratory type things - but, the GastroCrom is more systemic and also helps with autoimmune issues. There are a lot of threads about this --you can do a search on the forum.

Issie