New Study On Autoantibodies Suggests Desmin As A Target (Mitocondrial)

ramakentesh

In this recent study Mayo found some new autoantibodies to a variety of targets in patients with POTS:

Autoimmunoreactive IgGs from patients with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/prca.201200049/abstract

They identified autoantibodies to two specific target proteins - Desmin and Periostin - both of which are involved in cardiac remodelling.

Of particular interest is Desmin:

'Mice without Desmin were weaker, fatigued more easily and had impaired mitochondrial function.'

Interesting eh?

Thanks Rama, good to know and mirrors what Dr. Grubb said to me about the auto antibodies. "Mayo is continuing to find new antibodies and just because the right one hasn't been found for you yet, doesn't mean you don't have one." At the time I saw him, he said that they had just found 5 more.

So, between he and my neuro saying it's autoimmune I believed them. It fits for me and my symptoms. I also do have other positive antibodies and a sfn skin biopsy. I've always had a lot of pain and inflammation, as well as the fatigue which most of us have with our particular dysautonomia.

Sure I'd love to know which one, but the truth right now is there are only so many ways to treat autoimmunity regardless of which one you have. I feel comfortable with the choices my docs and I have selected. They aren't perfect, but they go much further then just treating symptoms alone, as what happens with salt loading. Salt loading won't stop an autoimmune attack, even if it makes some of your symptoms better. That's just my take on it from a personnel experience.

Grubb also said to me. "I worry about the patients that get fixated on POTS, blaming all their symptoms on it. I worry that they may overlook a more serious condition like cancer." As some of you may know he and his wife both have had cancer, he kidney and she brain. He really is able to see the big picture with his patients. To bad we can't clone him, so more could see him.