Bizarre Dietary Changes That May Have Helped Me

ramakentesh

Posted this recently on another thread but couldn't help myself from posting again re: potatoes

They are the most common nightshade vegetable. Nightshade veggies have alkoloids in them which can effect nervous system functioning. In potatoes the Alkoloids actually decreases cholinesterase - the enzyme which is a catalyst for Acetycholine. So it functions in the same way Mestinon / Pyridostigmine does.

I've been on Pyridostigmine for over a year. My conclusion: if you can benefit from a decrease in Acetycholine eat a diet high in potatoes.

Thanks for posting all those other benefits too.

And, Rama that is interesting about the Spondylitis - my sister in law lives in Idaho, potato country. She has recently been diagnosed with this too. Wonder if her diet is high in potatoes ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have no official diagnosis but I have many of the symptoms of people in these forums. I was told by my homeopath that I should really cut out bad carbs in yeast. She thinks yeast causing all my symptoms. So when I just had my holy week for my Greek Easter I was terrified that I would get really sick. This is because we are not allowed to eat meat so I had to eat carbs and cheeses all week. Well I could have ate more veggies but I struggle with eating healthy. Weight always fluctautes. Anyway. Instead of getting sicker by the end of the week I actually felt better? My breathing started to clear up my head whooshing wasn't wasn't that bad. On Easter Sunday I felt amazing? Is it possible that meat is causing me to be sick? I would like some thoughts if anyone can relate. I know the first poster said that cutting out meat helps them.

It has helped me a lot. But, not only have I cut out meat but all animal products. If you research autoimmune disorders - one of the first things that they will cut out with someone that has MS is dairy. Since I believe, with me that genetics, inflammation and autoimmune disorders play the biggest part with me ---the reasons for cutting out animal products became so clear to me. Animal products can cause inflammation and dairy can cause autoimmune issues to be worse. Some have problems with breaking down the proteins and amino acids in animal proteins. I could go into a lot of technical reasons for my going this direction with my diet. But, just those things in themselves are a good reason for me holding the course I've set for myself. The more I study about vegan lifestyles and how to do them - the more determined I am to be one. It takes a lot of determination to make such a lifestyle change. Especially, with the way that most eat today. But, I haven't found it to be too difficult and the results are really noticeable. Even my husband who was an extreme skeptic to start - is slowly switching over to this way of eating. He is telling anyone with health issues that he comes into contact about my diet and what it is doing for me and telling them - you should do it. LOL! I find that very funny - from the before to the after. I figure that diet is one thing I have control over and no one else can do this for me. It's something I have to do for myself. It's not a pill and it could very possibly "fix" something.

One thing we learn from our parents and those before them - are our eating habits. If our parents before us had issues with their health and there seems to be a genetic component to it ---what is it besides genes that you have in common with those before you? DIET. Those habits are passed from generation to generation. Could a tweak in our eating habits - change some of the malfunction with the genes that we inherit? I'm hoping so!

Issie

Guest maia

I'm studying nutrition and have recently been introduced to a website that tells you the Inflammation Factor (IF) of whatever food you enter in.

The IF (Inflammation Factor) Ratingâ„¢ estimates the inflammatory or anti-inflammatory potential of individual foods or combinations of foods by calculating the net effect of different nutritional factors, such as fatty acids, antioxidants, and glycemic impact.

How to interpret the values: Foods with positive IF Ratings are considered anti-inflammatory, and those with negative IF Ratings are considered inflammatory. The higher the number, the stronger the effect. The goal is to balance negative foods with positive foods so that the combined rating for all foods eaten in a single day is positive.

I've noticed a strong correlation between my reaction to foods and their position on the inflammation scale. Onions are one of the foods I do well with, too and their rating is strongly anti-inflammatory. Potatoes are listed as mildly inflammatory. Potatoes, I still eat sporadically, but many of the foods that I've phased out over time, show up high on the inflammatory scale. For example, I love bakery rolls, but if I eat one, I feel like I've gained 5 lbs in swelling.

If anyone wants to check out certain foods the website is http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2880/2

Fabulous site. Really a bummer that you cant search by inflammation factor or vitamins, etc though. :(

Like Issie, I'm also recently a vegan convert. Cutting out meat, eggs and dairy have made a huge difference in the daily fluctuations of my pots. I still have pots, but it's more stable now. I don't get the crazy ups and downs in bp, pulse and my CNS is less active at night ( I still twitch, but a lot less).

My doctor is a big proponent of Dr. Andrew Weil's anti-inflammatory food pyramid. I have one on my refrigerator door. Mushrooms are encouraged. I'm even taking mushroom supplements. They have calmed things down a lot. Lots of Asian mushrooms (not portobellos or the button/white mushrooms that are so common). I eat dried shitakes. They taste like dirt but seem to keep me steady.

Carbs kill me. I'm so dizzy after eating even whole-grain pasta that I can't sit in a chair and keep my head straight. It just rolls all around. Seeing a plate of pasta is, to me, like watching someone ride the teacups at Disneyland; I get dizzy just looking.