Cold Medicine?

terradactyl

I was just wondering how well any of you were able to tolerate over the counter cold medicines, if they affect your symptoms in any way or anything.

I have had three pretty bad colds since January, but I've noticed that during the worst of it when I am kicking back medicine I haven't felt dizzy or passed out once. Even my heartbeat seems pretty normal. When I am not sick I feel awful again, so I am thinking maybe they are helping me. I have low blood pressure/heart rate that seems to cause most of my issues, so maybe the medicine raises blood pressure a little? It's just kind of weird, I am almost tempted to try it when I am not sick and see if it helps at all.

Just curious if anyone else has had any experiences with this.

terradactyl,

I have not experienced this, but probably because I stay away from OTC cold meds as I have read that they can influence bp. My bp fluctuates, but tends to be on the med-high side thus, I stay away from them. Wouldn't hurt to ask a pharmacist or your dr. just to be sure. Interesting though...

If you are on any blood pressure meds. be sure to talk to pharmist or doctor. My son has to stay away from decongestants because he takes midodrine.

I have noticed that sudafed makes me feel better all around. I feel more focused and calm as well as reduced POTS symptoms. DXM - dextromethorphan (cough suppressant) supposedly helps POTS symptoms too. and ChlorTrimeton and other antihistamines. depends on what you're taking, but cough and congestion meds and antihistamines can def help :)

I went to cleveland cinic and got sick THREE times in 3 weeks.

The viruses are raging in that environment no matter how careful you are.

I took OTC flu meds and it started causing cpap sleeping problems.

Be careful not to overdose. They put you out, but dont do great things

for your autonomic nervous system.