Mestinon Reaction?

jkoconne

hi all,

Yesterday I started mestinon. About 30-60mins after taking it i got terrible stabbing pain in my chest on the left side, right under my breast, it feel almost like a sharp stake in going through me. Ive had a similar pain but not as intense...this stops me in my tracks and takes my breath away. I occasionally have pain when breathing out but when this more sever pain comes...breathing in and out hurts, it feels like it turns from stabbling into cramping.

As the day went on it faded and then after my second dose it came back worse...I dont know what to do. I really want this med to work and im not sure if this is a side effect because i cant find anywhere that says chest pain is a side effect :( but then this morning my chest felt totally normal...but 45mins after my i took it my chest pain came back. My vitals are normal when i have the pain but my bp monitor shows minor pvc's (it beeps at me if i have them while its doing a reading).

So my question is: did anyone experience a reaction like this? what did you do? did it get better?

Im going to call the doc tomorrow morning

Thanks!

you might want to stop taking it until you talk to doc. from what I read this is not a normal side affect. also, do you believe you may have asthma? i know that you have alot of food allergies. i also know from personal experiance that I have no tolerence for bb's which should not be taken with asthma. I have never felt like I had asthma tho....possible mcas. But if you are experiencing this heart pain, i would stop until talking to goodman. i had weird heart pains this week too tho, as did the receptionist at my work who is not pots. so maybe there is just something weird floating around here in AZ.

also i read that if you have problems with anticholinesterase medications (e.g., neostigmine); or to bromides u shouldnot be on this.

web md says:

"This medication should not be used if you have certain medical conditions. Before using this medicine, consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have: stomach/intestinal blockage, urinary blockage.

Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: lung disease (e.g., asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-COPD), kidney disease, slow/irregular heartbeat."

Edited by corina
medical advice

I've been taking mestinon for about 1 year but never experienced anything like you're describing. Could it be that you've started on a dose that's too high for you? Many start small and work their way up from there.

You might want to let your dr know about this and ask for his/her advice.

If you search the forum for mestinon you should find lots of entries about it, but I don't recall ever reading about chest pain associated with it.

Keep us posted.

Best,

Alex

I've had a nasty reaction to a very low of Mestinon too. Disheartening. I had high expectations for this.

Had bad reaction to a very, very low dose.

Ugg. Not too many options left, with the exception of Methyldopa. Have tried two BB's, Clonodine, and Mestinon, without success. Am hyper pots, but feel there has to be something out there.

Hi all,

Ive stoped the mestinon. Feeling much better but i think the chest pain is unrelated. Of course when i called the doc they made me go to the hospital since they couldnt get me in...The hospital said my heart and chest looked good, i "wasn't in any immediate danger." I like how they always say that...it like you're okay but you might not stay okay? So unsettleing.

Anyway, They did find REALLY high blood sugar. About a week- week 1/2 ago i started randomly feeling awful and getting blurred vision, called the doc and they said it was just symptoms of pots but ive never had these symptoms before! About 2 months ago i even brought up blood sugar to my primary doc because i felt like i was having low blood sugar but she said unlikely. So now I have proof its some type of abnormal blood sugar! going in on monday for more tests and figure out the blood sugar thing