Sugar doesn't seem to affect me....

lalalisa

Hi everybody!

I truly truly respect all of you that are giving up sugars - and I'm not trying to brag about the fact that I can eat sugar but I'm kinda confused here.....

Sugar doesn't seem to affect me (negatively or positively). Am I alone with this? (I've been reading about all of the horrible things sugar does to many of you)

Am I just blind to how bad it makes me feel? I do feel badly most of the time but it doesn't seem to change with my eating habits....unless I eat a big meal (then I feel even worse)

Thanks for any input!

Lisa

p.s. I really am impressed that you guys are giving up sugar, I really love sweets!

Hi Lisa - Its hard to say.....

8 years ago when I first went on the candida diet I didnt think I had any problem with sugar either...Then I went on the diet ( or should I say lifestyle change)....and had AMJOR withdrawls for a week followed by more energy, clearer head, and overall "lightness" to my body....

Ever sonce then when I put sugar back into me ( and I have many times in the last 8 years! LOL).... I react quite a bit.....

So that might or moght not be the case for you.

One way you can tell if you possibly have a problem is to check your tongue. A white coating on it suggests yeast overgrowth in the body......

or if you are having yeast infections....

There is also a spit test..its gross, but when you wake up in the morning, your supposed to spit in a glass of water...if your saliva sinks to the bottom then you most likely have a candida problem.....

ALthough there are many people who eat sugar and do fine.... You might be one of them.. if so have some chocolate for me !! LOL

Take Care :blink:

I definitely feel better on a low sugar diet. My endocrinologist recommended a *no* sugar diet during pregnancy b/c it seemed like I had reactive hypoglycemia during most of my pregnancy. I kept strictly to a no sugar diet during pregnancy and post partum for that reason, and I definitely think it helped. Since then, I have never had any dramatic symptoms following sugar intake, but I notice feeling more spacey, at times, after I eat sugary foods. While I do not eat things like candy bars, unfortunately, I don't believe I could ever give it up completely. I like a little maple syrup on pancakes, a bit of licorice or a cookie for dessert, ice cream as a special treat, etc. I know what you are saying, Steph. It's a comfort thing!

I admire those who can follow a no-sugar diet! It is a healthy practice for anyone--POTS or not.

Katherine

Hi Lisa,

I'm new to the board, but sugars is one of the things I considered early on in my illness too. However, thought losing weight, I really don't see any difference in my health or energy based on sugars or any other foods for that matter. There just seems to be no rhyme or reason for my flares - at least that I recognize yet.

Here's something else I seem to be different in than most - I actually feel better, a little more energy and less pain after a soak in my spa tub. I know heat is supposed to hurt us, but I feel worse when I am cold and better after the hot tub. I don't keep it too hot and don't stay too long, but from what I have read, being able to soak in heat is very unusual! Guess we're all different.

~Roselover

Guest tearose

I think some people do have trouble in several areas eating sugar. I don't believe that sugar bothers me. I don't feel bad after eating it. I do have problems with my sense of taste and smell and I think this makes me crave the tingle of sour, sweet, salty and spice. I think this is why I hesitate to give up sugar. It is suggested that people should cut down in quantities of sugar for health reasons if they have blood sugar problems or maybe other things like yeast problems, allergies....and for this reason I try not to overdo my sugar intake.

tearose

I am affected by sugar badly. I have candida, yeast over growth, but it also increases my heart rate. I have a wrist BP cuff with pulse indicator and I noticed after eating sugar my heart rate sky rockets. I am glad to hear you are good with sugar! We all are different. :)

So how about you having some cheese cake forme, oh a choc. candy bar, um...ha ok no more torture for me. Actually I am doing good with not craving it. I have just learned its poisen to me.

Best wishes,

Brenda R.

Thanks for all of your feedback!

It's so amazing to me how different we all are.

I promise to eat some sugar for all of you who wish you could have it but can't!

Have a great day,

Lisa

Lisa,

I am not surprised that many here don't have a problem with sugar. I do know that most other cultures (Asian, European, Middle Eastern, etc., etc.) consume far less sugar than we do, and that many nutritionists and health gurus claim this is why the American population is so at risk for obesity and insulin resistance.

It may be that it's genetic, or that some of us just become more insulin resistant as we age, or that we have some trigger (like POTS for me) that sets the process in motion. I think in my case I definitely have some sort of hormonal imbalance that is causing my sugar sensitivity, so I wouldn't worry that you aren't sensitive to sugar. Do what makes you feel well -- just don't overdo it!

Amy

Amy--you are absoultely right--Americans consume far more sugar than do most other cultures. That is something to consider, in light of our concurrent obesity and diabetes epidemic. Moderating sugar consumption is probably a good idea, regardless of current symptoms!

Here are some fun facts about our infatuation with sugar in this country!

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0779144.html

:o Katherine