Level Of Awareness During Episodes

Tobiano

I’m wondering if anyone can relate to this…When I have a severe episode (one that results in me collapsing to the floor) I seem to only remember small pieces of the overall event, even if other people report that I have not lost consciousness (I can still shake/nod my head to respond to yes/no questions) . When other people fill me in afterwards, I have no recollection of some things that happened and some recollection of others. This scares me a little. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes, this has happened to me. I had two syncopes within about 5 minutes or so and didn't remember the time in between when I apparently answered some questions. They said at one point I didn't answer, but stayed focused on them and appeared alert. Once they filled in the gaps, I had a very foggy recollection of the last 30 seconds before passing out again.

I'm with you - that it's a little scary to lose that time!

Yes. It happens to me too. :( My best guess is that we have enough oxygen in our brain to be conscious and that's it...not enough to have short term memory. I was trying to recall a specific set of medical tests the other day that I was sure I had been fully cognizant during the tests but when I tried to recall them I just flat out couldn't. I knew I had had a bad day that day but would have sworn I could answer questions about it until I actually tried and failed to produce the answers.

Thanks for sharing everyone. When I'm 'back' after an episode I usually have to ask someone what time it is... sometimes 10 minutes have passed and sometimes it's closer to 45 min. It's such a weird feeling to have lost that time. Katybug - I can relate to that one. Hope everyone is having an uneventful weekend.

Hi Tobiano, I responded to much of this in your other thread named 'neuroloigical symptoms". I'm often have amnesia after a collapsing episode and although I might appear like i've fainted, I usually have not but am just not able to respond with head movements or speech. So weird as I want to answer, I just can't!