Is This A Histamine Response Or Adrenalin?? Sooo Confused

Allotmenteer

Have just had another shaking attack. Had suspected I might suddenly be allergic tomtomatoes after a bite of one made my pulse race. Have avoided them for two weeks since, but tonight risked a home-made bolognese with tinned tomatoes. Within 20 minutes my pulse was racing, I felt the impending doom feeling, had to rush to the toilet, then my face startedvtingling. i was trembling all over, then the real shaking began, which lasted the usual 40 minutes. Felt pressure at backnof head and front of throat, was very thirsty, temp went down to 35.6. Coming out of it now, feel exhausted. i wish I knew what was going on. This is the same response I had to anbx (the trigger of all this) AND to a probiotic pill.

Any ideas?

Pork sets me off every time. I can handle a little bit, but not a lot. I had an episode today at lunch that I'm still trying to figure out. I get really hot in my head and back of my neck. I feel feverish and then I get very anxious and my heart rate will elevate. A lot of time I will have diarrhea, but today was a mild one. I always check my temp when I feel this way and I never have fever. I looked at my husband today and said "I wonder if this is what they mean when they ask if I flush" and he said it sounds like it. Interesting about the antibiotic, I took one last week and seemed to handle it fine. It was the sulfa drug Bactrim for a UTI.

After I see my neurologist at Vanderbilt, I am really going to give Histame and some H1 and H2 blockers a try!

Also - how long does the histamine reaction last? My shaking attacks are always about 40 minutes, but I've just had another one this morning which must be a continuation of last night (I haven't eaten anything yet, and have only drunk water). Presumably my body is still reacting to the same trigger?

(sorry about the multi-posting; you can tell I've had a bad night).

allotmenteer- "adrenaline is the antagonist of histamine": Adrenaline is a name for the drug epinephrine which is what they give patients when they are in anaphylaxis (having a severe allergic reaction). Epinephrine is what your body produces naturally when you're in a "stress" situation.

Certainly sounds like you might be having an allergic reaction which triggers a histamine release which then might trigger an epinephrine release to counteract it which might explain the shaking etc. All theoretical of course and you really need to find a good allergist- preferably one who is familiar with mast cell activation disorders if you can find one.

If you search this site for MCAD/MCAS/ mast cell activation disorders I'm sure you'll come up with a lot of info and links to articles/threads that will give you a lot of info on the topic.

• 3 weeks later...

Dumb question, but youre not ingesting any MSG or aspartame right?

That flushing, sudden nausea, racing pulse is classic.

Beyond that a food allergy related to leaky gut syndrome, low adrenal function etc.

Have you had a saliva cortisol test?

No, no MSG (gives me migraine so I haven't had it since I was about 17 - which is 33 years ago!), never have anything with asparatame either. No corticol test either.

I thought leaky gut likely, have been eating gut-healing cruciferous veg and low-fat protein only for over two weeks and am beginning to feel better - stomach pains better this week. Appt with Dr Mathias on thursday!