Red Ring Around Iris

southbel

My husband noticed something really odd in me yesterday. He said I had perfect red rings around my iris in each eye. I've googled it and it seems it's mostly a problem with contact lens wearers. However, I do not wear nor have ever worn contact lenses. I did find a reference to it being an indicator that the eye is starved of oxygen. We've made an appointment with an opthamologist for Tuesday. Has anyone else ever seen this or had this issue?

Southbel, this sounds like iritis. Do you have any pain, or light sensitivity? If you have any of these symptoms or changes in vision, please try to get in before tuesday. Iritis is sometimes associated with autoimmune diseases such as ulcerative colitis, and crohns disease. It can be acute, or chronic. Acute iritis needs quick treatment so that damage to the iris and uvea is prevented. I am of course not a doctor, and not trying to diagnose, but I work for an ophthalmologist, and have seen this many times. Let me know if you have any questions.

No pain but definitely have light sensitivity. I figured this was all due to my dizziness and focus/depth perception issues I've been having. It's hard to explain but I have to work really, really hard to focus on one point (aka talking to a person and focus on that person). I'll be in the hospital on Monday morning first thing for a bunch of testing <sigh>. I'll go ahead and bring it up then too. Man, I feel like my body is just falling apart!

I'm glad you'll at least be able to tell them, good luck :-) hey, have you ever noticed your pupils get different? I have that alot, and makes it really hard for me to focus too. My left one gets really big, and stays big... Oh the joys of dysautonomia !

I'm glad you'll at least be able to tell them, good luck :-) hey, have you ever noticed your pupils get different? I have that alot, and makes it really hard for me to focus too. My left one gets really big, and stays big... Oh the joys of dysautonomia !

YES!!! My right pupil is quite a bit larger than my left right now. I thought it was my imagination but even my husband agreed on it. I've mentioned it to doctors before when I was trying to get a diagnosis and they largely blew it off. I really got to say that talking to y'all on this board is the FIRST time I've felt like 'wow there's other people out there like me'!!

I've never had the red ring, but, I do have a weird blue/gray ring around my iris(I have dark brown eyes). I have no clue what that is. But, I do have the other eye symptoms you are talking about. I get days where I cannot handle the daylight coming in through my house windows. And, I cannot seem to focus very well, and definitely worse in the morning. Let us know what you find out Tuesday.