Valsalva Test Question

Nikki

I had the valsalva test done yesterday, and I was just wondering - is your blood pressure supposed to be monitored during this test? I don't know much about it but the people doing the test didn't seem to know what they were doing the entire time.. They had 3 electrodes hooked up (two on my chest, one on my rib) but that was all...or can they measure it that way? Cause I was thinking and I'm 99% sure my doctor said they'd be watching my heart rate and blood pressure, but they never hooked any cuff to me or anything. So I'm not sure if I should call and say something or not. I don't have an appointment until December 20th, so I'd hate to wait and then them not even have all my information.

I'm no expert, can only share my story.

I had mine done during the TTT. They did monitor my waves and pulse during the valsalva test but they also measured my blood pressure before and after, possible during. I cannot recall. But my report talks a lot about my pulse and recovering time, telling them a lot about what was going on. I'm sure they can see a lot without your BP but I can't imagine that knowing how it was reacting during the testing time, would do anything but help them.

I do know that I was pretty surprised how much they could pick up about my body with the electric waves. I was surprised that they knew before me everytime I started to flush.

My experience was the same as Peregrine's. They did mine during the TTT; they took a before and after blood pressure with the regular cuff, but also had a finger cuff that constantly monitored my BP throughout the entire procedure. I don't know a lot about it, but I was under the impression that both heart rate and BP reactions had something to do with the Valsalva test results?

At both of the major centers where I had this test done, I had on a finger BP monitor that measures beat-to-beat pressures. If I remember correctly that's a pretty critical part of the test.