Salt Tablets And Water Question

Jennij

That sounds right. Not sure what the point is though. The more salt I take, the more water I drink and the MORE I go to the bathroom....like every 5 minutes. After every glass of water I have to run to the bathroom. It seems I'm not retaining any of it. So, again I feel like what's the point.

Jennij I was having the same issue until I started wearing an abdominal binder. It keeps the blood from pooling in that area and makes it easier to drink the water and not go to the bathroom every few minutes.

I have the same issue with saline infusions. I have already gone to the bathroom 10 times before they get two bags in me, so they really don't stick around that long. That's probably why they only last a day or so for me.

Thanks for the suggestion for the abdominal binder. I will try that. I purchased a pair of thigh high comp. stockings after the waist high were too much and made me feel bad. Maybe an abdominal binder would work ok though. It's worth a shot since I really want to be able to retain the water I drink.

I was told the same thing. Because I have surges that result in pretty severe high bp florinef isn't a treatment option for me. But everyone is different with meds, so maybe it's something about our cases that are different from others.

I absolutely cannot tolerate the compression stockings. They're too hot and they exacerbate my skin issues (hives). Normally, though, I tolerate the binder pretty well. It's uncomfortable as all get out at first but once you get used to it you can tell a big difference in the way you feel (well, I did).

At my last visit Dr. Goodman suggested I try "runners socks" because they breathe better than the stockings. Haven't checked into this yet but I will soon. Can't even tell you what they are right now. :)

Jennij, I have very hyperPOTS with upright Norepinephrine 3300, but also severe hypovolemia documented by blood volume analysis. Florinef and salt tabs are an essential part of my therapy and recommended to me by Mayo even though it seems counterintuitive. Hypovolemia can be one of the contributors to high catecholamines. In fact, high catecholamines can cause hypovolemia which in turn can increase the catecholamines further. Patients with pheochromocytoma are almost always hypovolemic. So, it depends on your case! POTS is so heterogeneous.

It squeezes your midsection so that the blood doesn't settle there. Without the blood pressing on the bladder you don't tend to feel like you need to go to the bathroom as often. Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Gabrialla-Breathable-Elastic-Abdominal-Binder/dp/B000WFT3II

You can get salt tabs otc. Here are some from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sod-Chlor-Tabs-Gm-100/dp/B000GCN130

The thermotabs are buffered and are supposed to be easier on your stomach, but they all bother my stomach. I stick to chicken broth and camelbak tabs (410 mg of sodium you can just drop in a water bottle, and flavored). I use two tabs at a time for 820 mg/bottle.

I have the exact same problem - more water and salt results in more trips to the bathroom. It doesn't really make enough difference in how I feel.

It should be noted that a recent course of dexamethasone made me feel GREAT, like normal better great and I did a tune up on the car one of those days. I'm wondering if this means I might be a candidate for Florinef. I'm back to pain and feeling crappy again. It was nice to be reminded what I'm striving for, though!

there is also frequently a nonspecific effect of steroids that makes people feel good.

This is what they said at the migraine office when I asked about this. Although they were a bit perplexed that they helped me sleep better - and then attributed that to possible pain relief.