Abdominal Compression/binders

yogini

I know many of you wear compression around your stomach. I have reflux which worsens when I wear something tight around my stomach. At the same time, my stomach sticks out a lot and I'm sure I pool in my abdomen. I am otherwise petite except my gut sticks out - it looks a little like I am pregnant, I am sometimes asked if I am pregnant, which is annyoning! I feel better when I draw in my abs and sit up straight, but as soon as I stop focusing on it I slouch back down. I am hoping some kind of compression will help with this, and that I start to wear it for a little while and work my way up to longer periods.

So I want to try abdominal compression. I do have some Spanx type shapewear (both the shorts and the tank top). They are a little slimming, but not sure they're firm enough to help with my pooling. I was wondering what any of you use for abdominal compression. Do any of you have one that is custom made? Ideally I'd like somthing that wraps around, so I can take it off quickly if it starts bothering me.

I love my binders. It's the only way I can do my job (teach) without passing out. I use various ones, depending on my needs and symptoms. I also have acid reflux, but they don't bother it. The spanx ones definitely don't do it for me on most days. Here are the ones I prefer:

This one is good when it's hot because it comes with ice packs, and they're not too hard to conceal under clothes:

http://shop.nextrevolutionmedical.com/8-Abdominal-Binder-AB8.htm

This one is also good when it's hot but is more concealable and breathes better than others I've tried (size down when you order; I'm normally a medium and it was way too big; small is better though I would order an XS if they had it)

http://www.amazon.com/Gabrialla-Breathable-Elastic-Abdominal-Binder/dp/B000WFW7W2

And this one is great for days when I'm not super-symptomatic. I bought mine at Dillards. It has never rolled up on me, which most do (size up if you're borderline on this because it's pretty tight; also, to avoid making it a two-man job, I keep it snapped shut and just shimmy into it)

http://www.dillards.com/product/Cabernet-Waist-Cincher_301_-1_301_501069283?df=02115729_zi_cupid_nude

Hope this helps. I find these to be heaven-sent. :)

Edited to add: give yourself awhile to get used to them. They are pretty uncomfortable at first and made me feel like I couldn't breathe, but it helped to lay down after I put it on and breathe awhile and then get up and go. Now I'm only uncomfortable when I remove them because I can literally feel the blood rushing to that area. Bonus: if you leave them on when you eat you feel fuller faster. Maybe that's not helpful for some of you, but I've lost about 4 lbs from this alone. :)

Thanks so much. The third one is what I was imagining. I went to a big dept store and tried on a few in that style and felt that they weren't tight enough, or maybe they just didn't fit me. :) My size is weird though. I am bigger in the stomach/chest, so nothing ever fits me right.

Maybe the 2nd works better. It looks more functional and not so fashionable.I would really love to try something on before I buy. And yes, i wouldn't mind feeling fuller faster !!! ;)

Yogini if there is a maternity shop in your area, or a medical supply store, they often have the more "medical" compression and you can at least take them out and see how they feel/fit. I went to a medical supply store and did this with my first one. You can also get a high compression one at Walgreens, though I found those to be VERY hot.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to a lingerie store and got this waist cincher. It hooks in the front and is super tight and supportive and supposedly seamless - way tighter than any compression hose, spanx, etc. The sweet elderly man who owns the store said he has spent 30 years making patters for girdles and new my size and what I needed just by looking at me. I thought it would be cheaper on the internet, but I only paid $60. Haven't had the guts or the time to wear it yet - it takes a lot of effort to get into. Will report back when I do!

http://www.classicshapewear.com/vedette-renee-firm-compression-waist-cincher-corset-100-150-p-1889.html?gclid=CLryot_5rrICFYSo4AodvnIA0g

Well, I finally tried this waist cincher yesterday. in the store they told me that I would be able to wear it for a full day or if I had any problem, wear it for 2 hrs at a time. I was able to wear it from about 8-3. It did not worsen my reflux. I ate a late lunch, and when I started to get full from the lunch, I got really uncomfortable and had to take off the compression. I think I will be able to tolerate it better if I eat smaller meals more frequently, which is better for POTS and in general, though I am nto sure it will work with my work schedule.

It actually feels very supportive both to my abs and my back. I have never been able to wear waist high compression hose. This is much tighter, but for whatever reason I am able to tolerate it. I think it might be because it doesn't go past my hips. Maybe it's the tightness from the legs up that gives me a problem

I have it on again today and don't mind how it feels. I will try and wear it to work tomorrow too and see how it goes. For anyone looking to try this, I would really recommend going to a store and trying things on. You will know right away whether you feel comfortable.