Driving, Ritalin, And Sympathetic Exhaustion?

peregrine

Folks here might remember that my biggest problem in terms of day-to-day life is spaciness, along with brain fog and some presyncope, and that the spaciness keeps me from driving. My new neurologist suggested that we try ritalin (methylphenidate, a stimulant used to treat ADHD, apparently also FDA-approved for POTS!), so I've started taking 5mg twice a day.

The upside is that my seated spaciness is pretty much gone when I'm in the ritalin "high" (a 2-hour period following taking it, followed by a 2-hour slump). I'm also a lot less tired during that period - I can sit up straight at my desk because I have energy! and much of the brainfog is gone - I can think coherently about my tasks for the day, I can read scientific papers (which is a lot of what I try to do many days), etc.

Since we were already taking the cat to the cardiologist for a pre-dental checkup (he has an overactive vagal response! this is kind of hilarious), we had some extra time with the Zipcar. I tried driving (with my partner in the passenger seat) - first around the parking lot, then around the block, and eventually on regular streets - all of this while the ritalin was at its peak efficacy.

It went great for the first ~30 minutes, but after that I started having more and more trouble talking, began spacing again (so we headed back to the parking lot, of course), and by the time we got out of the car I was exhausted and could barely walk or talk. My blood pressure (via wrist monitor) was fine this entire time - it actually seems normal when I am feeling spacey. These symptoms are very similar to my presyncope, only presyncope for me also includes the cold sweats and nausea, and I got neither (maybe because I was sitting down?). Yesterday when I got presyncope I also had a normal BP - is this due to systematic BP having ~nothing to do with cerebral blood flow in my case?

So... is this sympathetic or adrenal exhaustion? I recovered after resting (sitting upright) for about 30 minutes and eating something, and never noticed any BP or HR change - just the speech issues and fatigue. It looks like I can drive one-way trips - maybe spell someone else - but with this set of symptoms I can't make the return trip. I'm hypothesizing that it's something like this:

1 - Some stressor, either upright position or driving, leads to spaciness.

2 - Spaciness is worsened (caused?) by sympathetic overdrive.

3 - Spaciness worsens and proceeds to presyncope (or exhaustion/speech issues) due to adrenal exhaustion.

4 - I eventually collapse until I restore adrenal hormone levels?

Does this make sense? How would you distinguish adrenal exhaustion/sympathetic overdrive from other things? Am I totally off my rocker here? Would like to try clonidine, since the ritalin hasn't done anything for the standing spaciness. Hopefully I can convince my neurologist to give it a shot in a few weeks.

(thanks! sorry for the info dump, just lots of new data and I'm confused)

My brain doesn't want to think right now, so I won't be much help on the adrenal exhaustion theory. But I just thought I'd mention that I had limited success when I tried Ritalin - I ended up switching over to Adderall and it was like night and day. I remember asking my doc if this is how normal people feel, all the time. My POTS has gotten worse (and/or I've developed a wicked tolerance) so it's not as effective as it used to be, but for a while I was doing incredibly well.

If you are having adrenal exhaustion, not sure if adderall would give you much different results...but I definitely have had a similar crash with adderall (can't remember ritalin, it's been a few years). My mind just goes completely blank. I can't focus, can't find the words I want to use. The frequency of that dropped significantly after a month or so on the med. I also have a second dose to take in the afternoon that gets rid of it, if it's happening.

Thanks for the info on Adderall! The crash doesn't appear to be due to the Ritalin - the exhaustion and speech issues while driving were while I was still on the "high" from the Ritalin.

How does one test for adrenal exhaustion? I don't know anything about it, though I know folks have talked about it here.

edit - ah, adrenal exhaustion is the alternative/holistic medicine concept, tested via salivary cortisol, etc. Hunh.

I take Adderall now, but I can only tolerate the extended release and not the immediate release. I tried to save money and do the immediate release (as it's cheaper), but I think it activates too quickly and then leaves the my body too quickly... which causes more dizziness. The extended release adderall seems to be a more gentle up and then down.

Hunh - yeah, I noticed that the immediate release was kind of a yoyo - hard to tell if the fatigue post-high is due to the post-stimulant slump or due to me returning to my normal level of energy. I might talk with the neurologist about Concerta (or some other extended-release form of Ritalin) if trying 10mg twice daily doesn't solve it.