Had Iv Insertion Problems?

One of the few things that really helps me when I get symptomatic is getting a couple of liters of IV saline. While on vacation earlier this week I went to the hospital for the saline before the plane ride home and to help w symptoms.

It took 90 mins to get the IV in. The infusion nurse tried and failed w 3 veins (one she got in but couldn't thread) before calling one of the nurse managers. The nurse manager came in, tried twice, failed and suggested my arms be wrapped in warm blankets. The infusion nurse tried again and failed again. She called in the Head OR nurse who also tried and failed. The veins were collapsing, not going in or not threading. Finally they called in the anesthesiologist who was about to go into OR who finally got it going.

I'm usually a tough stick- it's normal for me to have them try 2/3 times but this is crazy. My arms look a bit like a heroin addict. I don't want a port and saline has been one of my few lifesavers this year.

I'd love any advice you have on this topic.

I'm a tough stick too, especially when I'm sick so I can sympathize.

It sounds like you did this, but tell them you are a tough stick so they start with someone good.

Make sure they put the tourniquet on nice and tight (if it is over your shirt sleeve it won't pinch as much).

Keep track of where your successful IVs are placed and have them try there first the next time.

Not every hospital lets their nurses do this, but ULTRASOUND GUIDED IV...if you can see the vein on the screen, you can put a needle in it.

I know this isn't always possible, but if you know you need an IV, try to drink a bunch of water and hour or two before...full veins are easier to hit.

Squirrel is right; ultrasound is the way to go. I've also had good luck drinking lots of water, staying warm (wear a jacket), and I ask for pediatric nurses if an anesthesiologist isn't handy. They are used to getting needles into kids who have small veins and squirm, so they don't usually start unless they know they have a vein they can use (this keeps you from getting multiple sticks). I tend to have better luck in the back of my hand/side of my wrist. They don't have to use your arms only, either. I've had them in my ankles. They can put a bp cuff above the tourniquet, which helps. They had **** getting into my veins at Mayo!

I am kind of mean, but I tell them "you get one shot at this and then I want someone else who can get it done." I have hyper surges, and repeated sticks can cause a surge for me. I'm not worried about making friends at that point.

Lisa, I don't have regular IV therapy but I have a script for 2ltrs up to 3x per week PRN (as needed).

Whenever I am really symptomatic and can't seem to get out of it or have really low Blood pressure I get IV therapy. I also use it as preventive therapy before major travel- such as flying. It really helps to keep my symptoms down. I would love to have regular IV therapy because it helps so much- but I don't want a port and I'm not sure I could handle regular IVs.

Ive never heard of ultrasound guided IVs- love that idea - wonder if I could get that. Also like the idea of pediatric catheters and staff.

Most of all so good to know I'm not alone with this problem. Does anyone know why we are so difficult to stick?

Kelly,

I think it's because we stay so dehydrated and our veins are restricted most of the time. I think if it turns out IV therapy helps me a great deal, then I'll get the port. I'll do anything that helps.

Loulou