White Coat Syndrome?

roxie

Does anyone have this? Where your bp is high in the dr's office & not at home. I do. Strange in pots & oi but i do. It's usually high at the dr's. I've been on midodrine the past few months & its raise my bp at home to like 115/80- 120/82. Now I'm worried what it'll be at the dr'a when I go next week. Midodrine will make it easy for it to go up. Plus I have things I want to bring up with him adding to my anxiety.

Is there anything I can do? What can I say so they know it's not always high at home?

I'm afraid worrying about it will make it sure but I wondering if anyone has advice?

Guest headhunter030

Oh **** yeah!!! I print them out. A little printer attaches to my home monitor.

You should have seen the problems this caused in the police academy---before I was even screwed up.

I bring my bp monitor with me because I experience episodic hypotension and hypertension. It has a memory, and I can go through it with the doctor so he can see it. My problem is that I'm hypo a lot of times, but hyper on standing, and going out and to the doctor requires standing up that raises my bp so it is always high at the doc. This way he can see what's going on.

medhelp.org also has dysautonomia and bp trackers that are free and easy to use. I just print them out and take them to the doctor; the dysauto tracker helps me identify which symptoms are coming up frequently, as the brain fog/beta blocker combo often leaves me unable to recite any but the most recent symptoms. Before I used them, I didn't realize that when I am most weak is when my bp is lowest (maybe this is common sense to everyone else, but I didn't put the pieces together). Now I know when I'm weak and tired I need more salt, and when my head hurts I need less because my bp is higher. They've been a blessing for me in filling in the blanks.

Also, be careful with home bp monitors. They are supposed to be accurate (I was assured multiple times by the pharmacist that they all have to be within certain tolerances) but the issue is that with many of the cheaper ones if you don't get them positioned just right you can end up with faulty readings. I took many of them to my doctor's office and found that they were WAY off if they weren't on just right (I also have fairly defined arm muscles and they were tight on the top but loose under my bicep). I ended up purchasing a $100 model from Omron (later, saw it at Sam's for $60..whatya gonna do? LOL) with a sensor that tells you if the cuff is not on properly, and a cuff that fits multiple arm sizes. Every reading I've taken with it in my doc's office is dead on what he is getting.

All doctors I have asked have told me to avoid the wrist monitors, as well.