High Salt Intake And Stomach Cancer Link

Sorry I know a bunch of us up our salt intake to very high levels and it helps but just wanted to make everyone aware of the link. Japanese people are among the healthiest in the world yet they eat a ton of salt mainly through seafood and soy sauce and stomach cancer is their only really high risk of cancer..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3370141.stm

Salt raises 'stomach cancer risk' _39703935_salt203.jpg

Not a good idea People who eat lots of highly salted food double their risk of stomach cancer, research suggests.

Scientists from Japan's National Cancer Centre Research Institute caried out an 11-year study of 40,000 middle-aged Japanese.

The risk of stomach cancer was one in 500 per year for those men with the highest salt intake - twice the rate for those who ate the least salt.

The research is published in the British Journal of Cancer.

For women, the risk was one in 1,300 per year for those who ate the highest amount of salt, compared to one in 2,000 for those with a relatively salt-free diet.

Common cause of death

o.gif

start_quote_rb.gif The study underlines the importance of limiting salt intake in our daily diet. end_quote_rb.gif

Dr Tim Key Gastric or stomach cancer is the second most frequent cause of cancer deaths worldwide - with an estimated 776,000 deaths in 1996.

Scientists know that high salt intake can induce atrophic gastritis - a precursor to stomach cancer.

Salting, pickling and smoking are traditionally popular ways of preparing food in Japan. Pickled vegetable and noodles are rich in sodium and low in vitamin C.

As the Japanese diet has become increasingly westernised there has been a noticeable drop in the rates of stomach cancer but an increase in the rates of breast and bowel cancers, emphasising the role of diet in the disease.

Lead researcher Dr Shoichiro Tsugane said: "Although there is a steady decline in its incidence, gastric cancer is still the most common form of cancer in Japan.

"In addition to salt intake our study also shows that smoking and low consumption of fruit and vegetables increases the risk of stomach cancer particularly in men."

Dr Tim Key, an epidemiologist for Cancer Research UK, said: "This study shows strong associations of stomach cancer with the intake of highly salted Japanese foods including salted fish and pickled vegetables.

"What we don't know is whether it is specifically the salt in these foods that can cause cancer or a combination of salt and other chemicals.

"In Britain stomach cancer rates are much lower than in Japan and these types of highly salted foods are not widely consumed.

"But limiting salt intake is also important for reducing the risk for high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.

"The study underlines the importance of limiting salt intake in our daily diet not only to reduce the risk of stomach cancer but also to protect against heart disease."

Most all docs advise "against" high salt . . . in regards to most health issues. The only two things I know of that advise for lots of salt is POTS and Addison's. At the very least, people could switch over to a full mineral type salt like Celtic sea salt or himalayan salt. But, then there is not enough iodine - so one would have to make sure you have things in the diet to supply that. There's lots of past discussion about salt on here, you can do a search on this subject.

Issie

yikes! I just got urine sodium levels back and they are way too low at 54.....they should be well over 100...but frankly salt just makes my stomach really sick...so I am not sure how to increase any more....we tried saline infusions but they can't get any into me without a porta-cath and I am not ready for that yet :( any foods that are naturally high in salt?

yikes! I just got urine sodium levels back and they are way too low at 54.....they should be well over 100...but frankly salt just makes my stomach really sick...so I am not sure how to increase any more....we tried saline infusions but they can't get any into me without a porta-cath and I am not ready for that yet :( any foods that are naturally high in salt?

Seaweeds are very high in salt. But, could disrupt the function of your thyroid (but, can be good for some) - because of the iodine. The other thing I can think of is soy sauce - but that has estrogen qualities and could disrupt your hormone balance. Not to mention that most all soy in this country has been GMO modified. You could always resort to potato chips - which would give you potassium and salt - but also - bad oils and tons of calories. I guess everything can hava a down-side. :(

There's some pretty good rice crackers out there that have nuts in them. I like them when I want something salty.

Issie

The amount of liquids that you are supposed to take in addition to the salt probably helps that a lot. Yes, tons of salt by itself would more than likely upset your stomach and wear down on it, but I know I was told to drink 4 liters of liquid a day, so the salt is generally just binding to that liquid.

Also, most sports drinks have a pretty good source of sodium, and milk/non-dairy "milks"(If you can't tolerate dairy) have an excellent source of sodium. Actually, a lot of foods are surprising me by having sodium in them, just check labels.

Since most POTs patients have low blood volume which it is believed is caused by abnormal salt handling, high salt diets are recommended. That being said there is most likely reasons for why the blood volume is chronically low that may only be circumvented with medications like florinef, etc.

An interesting study but there are risks with everything. If salt loading helped me I wouldnt be overly concerned. Many commonly eaten herbs have carcinogenic contents.