Extreme Dryness From Allergy Meds ?

Does anyone else get extremely dry eyes and nasal passages from allergy meds ?

I've only been taking 1/4 tsp of children's dye free benadryl at night for the last few nights and my eyes and nasal passages feel like they're as dry as cotton.

I'm chronically dehydrated despite hydrating all the time but I don't understand why this little bit of medicine would make it so much worse. But, my optometrists always diagnose me with dry eyes.

I'm taking this because I'm having problems with throat swelling from time to time and the trigger

keeps changing so I was trying to stop it before it happens. I thought it would just be treating the problem not causing another problem.

Do others with dehydration notice this too ? I can't figure out why someone like me with a ton of allergies would dry up from such a small amount of benadryl.

Ideas ? Tx .. D

Sorry to hear you're doing this too. Do you take meds regularly ? I was wondering if this reaction would

lessen over time ? Or would taking this med every other day help ?

It's funny, I can feel post nasal drip in the back of my throat right now but my eyes, nose and sinuses are still

dry as can be. I can't think of how I'd google this either. It just doesn't make sense ..

yes I take meds every day for suspected mast cell issues........I also wear contacts and it gets so bad at times they are literally sticking to my eye.....I have just recently started using my neti pot just rinsing with a bit of warm water and has helped a little. I think it wouldnt be so bad if we weren't already chronically dehydrated :(

Thanks for reminding me about the neti pot. I keep meaning to try this again. I empathize

with you on the contacts. I wear glasses and my eyes still hurt.

My nasal passages and eyes are still dry from taking benadryl two nights ago. There's got

to be an explanation for why we do this. I found info on celiacs having damage to their

solute transporters in their guts so there's one possibilty. But maybe there's an auto immune component

too.

How's your saliva ? My mouth is dry unless I take probiotics with fos (blue bonnet). Making kefir with this

worked the best. I'll try that again today and let you know if it helps this.

Btw, if you haven't read this already, certain foods, esp dairy, cause allergy symptoms to be worse.

I know someone who owns cats but only reacts to them if she has dairy. My allergic reaction to my

dogs was reduced via diet but not as much as my freinds.

My problem is that I keep developing new allergies on top of the million I already have. Rotating my

foods would help but it's a pain to keep up with.

Tc .. D

Benadryl is very drying, and I only use it when necessary...my eyes get sooo dry, too. I also wear contacts. I will wake up with my eye balls stuck to my eye lids even without antihistamines!! It's definitely the dehydration; but then I have an opposite problem wear my eyes tear uncontrollably, too, which is weird, but they don't lubricate my eyes properly. I take benadryl when my allergies are really bad in the spring and the fall, but I hate the side effects!! Are you on any meds that can cause angioedema? That can cause throat swelling...B/P meds will sometimes give you a bad reaction, especially ACE inhibitors. Just checking!!

Thanks everyone. I'm exhausted from getting out today .. Yay .. So I'll have to try to understand

this tomorrow. I googled angioedema tho and I found some interesting info on the mayo clinic site.

I was just trying what I thought was a simple remedy. So much for that idea.

I have the eye watery problem too and agree that my eyes still feel dry when this is happening. Weird. So tears and eyeball fluid are different. I wonder if there's a bacteria connection. I'd heard once that putting raw honey in our eyes and then removing the excess and tears with water was good for them. I tried it and it burns at first but then stops after a few times. I'll try that too.

tc .. D

I take Pataday eye drops for itchy eyes, and it's expensive, but it works, and then you aren't drying out your whole system all the time. If you have throat swelling, it could also be your vagus nerve. I find when I talk alot, or sing, my throat swells, and I believe this is caused by the dysautonomia and the vagus nerve acting incorrectly. I sometimes have trouble swallowing, as well.

Zyrtec or Claritan are better for long term use for allergies or a prescription med like Singular, if that is what it is...I'd talk with your doctor about it. Actually, eating honey that is indigenous to your area, meaning bees that are found locally, is the best way to avoid pollen allergies in your area naturally. I've been told that by a doctor previously.