23 And Me

I just pulled up this web page and it doesn't give a ton of answers as to what they test for. It talked more about ancestry. I have noticed that some folks here have this genetic testing kit performed on themselves. I have no medical direction but I do have Doc's that would more than likely do what I ask. I have decent insurance. Should I just pay for this testing or are there tests that I can ask for that would give me more clues?

I've had general blood work (anemia - improved but low ferritin), corrected vit D deficiency, suspected low blood volume, supposedly normal cotrosyn test, low electrolytes, low sodium, high DHEA, high prolactin (yes I am lactating a little and i'm 44yrs old, not pregnant, normal mammogram), lower end of normal T4, normal CT scan, brain MRI with contrast, normal thyroid ultrasound, normal carotid US, and a TTT in which I didn't pass out and I believe was unremarkable, normal brain EEG, normal echo, normal stress test.

Only thing is, I'm just not normal.

I only recommend 23andme if you are ready for a challenge. Interpreting your results takes a lot of research, knowledge and patience on your part. If this isn't something you realistically find yourself doing, then I really don't recommend it at all and would ask your doc to see a geneticist. I'm not trying to be insulting or anything like that! Only you know if you can put the dedication and research necessary to make the results of any use to you. I've had my results since the end of March and I'm still learning every day! You will have to look at the raw data and should know the basics of genetics and/or be willing to learn as you go. I didn't know a single thing when I started! haha

I just don't want people to think if they get this test done, it tells you right on the website that you have POTS because of this gene or you are fatigued because of this gene. It is not like that at all.

The disease risk health reports from 23andme are very fluffy and may or may not be of any use to you. I originally got tested because I wanted to know my APOE status and I wanted to make sure I didn't have Factor V. I also like knowing my carrier status on certain things. I may have actually found my cause for POTS in my results, so it has been amazing for me but your mileage may vary as they say. :)

Of course I am always willing to help people with their results, but I can't look at your raw data so what I can do is very limited. There are 3rd party tools out there to help you with your results, but it still takes research.