Low Cholesterol (Gene Mutation) - New Piece To The Puzzle

klgpdx

For the past year my naturopath has been concerned I have an eating disorder because my LDL levels are below 20 (the ideal number is 100). For the record, I kept a diary showing I eat more than 2000 calories a day and twice as much fat as recommended. Finally, yesterday we found out I have a possible gene mutation that causes chronically low leves of LDL, it's called hypobetalipoproteinimia. Doctors still don't know much about the effects of low cholesterol... Of course. It has me wondering if it my be a possible reason for my IST.

Just curious, anyone else have low cholesterol levels, or know anything about it?

I've been looking into my genetics too! Do you know what mutation you have exactly? What test did you have done to find this out?

If I had to guess, I'd think low cholesterol would cause a lot of hormonal imbalances because it is the building block where all hormones come from. Check out this image.

I also found this in google. Not sure if you've seen it or not.

Familial hypobetalipoproteinemia a review

http://www.jlr.org/c...t/44/5/878.long

Dana, thanks for the link! I don't know the exact gene mutation, I think I am going to see a genetics counselor in a few weeks to confirm it (or do 23andme). It would make total sense about my hormones being out of wack, which is why my doctor has been harping on the subject for so long. However, they are are all normal. Though my dopamine was literally off the charts low.

Charmed, you definitely sound like the opposite of me, there must be an opposite gene mutation. I basically have a diet of meat and fat just so I can get my cholesterol levels as high as possible.

If you can get into a genetics counselor definitely go with that. They will do actual sequences of your genes which is really what you need to have done. 23andme is better than nothing though. I'm just not sure how much they really cover on the ApoB gene. Looks like only 52 snps.

Charmed

Yes there are mutations that do the exact opposite.

Dana, thanks for the link! I don't know the exact gene mutation, I think I am going to see a genetics counselor in a few weeks to confirm it (or do 23andme). It would make total sense about my hormones being out of wack, which is why my doctor has been harping on the subject for so long. However, they are are all normal. Though my dopamine was literally off the charts low.

Charmed, you definitely sound like the opposite of me, there must be an opposite gene mutation. I basically have a diet of meat and fat just so I can get my cholesterol levels as high as possible.