L-Carnitine- Have You Tried It Before, Which Type, Why And Was It Good?

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I realize from reading some old posts that there are a lot of people who have tried these supplements so I wanted to see just how many people tried them and in a simple comment if you tried them what was your experience like. I'm going try a complex one with all 3 types. But I really just wasnt to try the Propionyl L-Carnitine one but can't find it in the form I want.. The Acetyl form doesn't seem like it's for me at all..

I take it mainly because it helps with heart pain. I have MVP, and my heart hurts at times. I also take it because it helps with fat metabolism to the muscles, gives you energy, and is considered an antioxidant. It also helps with neuropathy and brain function. I alternate my supplements, and only take it every third day :) Since I started taking it, my heart doesn't hurt anymore.

I recommend doing some googling on it. The 3 supplements are actually all different and do different things. Acetyl is supposed to cross the blood-brain barrier and so it affect the brain more. I've heard that this is good and bad, depending on what someone has.. So I'm going to be trying this one in very tiny doses. The other two are for energy and fatigue but also they have been found to help with inflammation on veins, so in some situations people with varicose veins are prescribed it.. There is more if you do a simple a search I'm sure you'll find a ton of info..

I don't worry about vasodilation, because I started out with hypertension, anyway. I'm being very observant with all of this...That's why most potsies have to be careful with Magnesium, too, it lowers blood pressure. The only time my vitals are off is during exercise; I get tachy spikes, but otherwise my meds are working for my B/P and my heart rate.

• 1 month later...

These supplements were recommended for MS patients and all my symptoms mimic MS, too, so I'm still experimenting, and trying to find a balance, but they have made a world of difference in my energy level; I was such a slug with just my medications!! If I get too energetic, I just cut back some. You need to listen to your body....Anything that will help with inflammation in the body and vessels is a good thing for me!! Antioxidants also prevent free radicals and cancer producing agents. Every thing I have read keeps me taking them...I would talk with your doctor, but I'm a real proponent for taking more natural supplements along with medication to make me better. Vitamin D has also improved my energy, when I found I was deficient in that, too!! I have a lot of malabsorption problems, so I have to replace a lot of what our bodies normally have themselves or vitamins found in the foods we eat because of it. Now my teeth are loose, because of malnutrition, and it's not because I am not eating properly, so I had to do something!! I finally had the doctor do my vitamin D level, when doing other blood work!! I'm hoping the vitamin D and magnesium will help with that...nuts are very high in magnesium, too, and I love them, but my teeth hurt when I chew them. I now have to get Invisalign, because of my teeth shifting :(; insurance won't pay for that... I'm doing the best that I can! Research on your own. You are your best advocate!! No one is going to take better care of you, than you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Most heart doctors suggest taking CoQ10 and L-carnitine together, Rich. That may make the difference. I also take Alpha Lipoic Acid, too, and vitamin D3. I was so deficient in vitamin D, too. So it could have been the difference in D, too.

The alpha lipoic acid will be excreted in the urine, and does have a funny odor. I don't take them every day. What doses did you try? It could be you were taking too much. L-carnitine I usually take when my heart hurts, maybe every other or every third day 500mg/day. A lot less than the dosage recommended, and the alpha lipoic acid also only 200mg every other or third day. I did this so I could differentiate the effects of both. I take CoQ10 200mg every day....I've increased the dosage of that from the 100mg I was taking. Still experimenting some, but I will continue to take the CoQ10 and the L-carnitine for sure. Are you eating well, because that may also make a difference, too. A lot of my symptoms were MS like, so I decided to take these because they are recommended for it, and the CoQ10 is good for so many things.