Anyone Explain Oximeter Readings

E246

I have bought oximeter because of breathlessness and snoring at night. Ihave checked on line about how to read it but it is not very informative.

Anyone give me any info.

For example: Should O2 level drop at night - mine does to 90-94 if on my back.

Any help just to read the numbers with a bit more meaning.

Thanks

Emma,

I would definately try and get an overnight study coordinated through your doctor! My O2 saturation used to plummet when I walked and they had me wear a pulse oximeter with data recording capabilities overnight once to make sure everthing was ok. Low 90's seems a little off for sleeping.

Cheers,

Jenna

Do you mean a pulseOx? I've had this for awhile, the pulse part is how I figured out I had POTS. My oxygen has always been good bespite the fact that I have horrible breathing issues.

I want to be tested for sleep apnea soon. I've know a few people on here who have it and use special pressure machines at night and then during the day their breathlessness is much better. I suspect that the pressure is actually helping the blood flow in their chest...

I do this, and my oxygen is also around 94 at night/when laying down. I did the sleep study and it dropped to 89 momentarily but there was no evidence of sleep apnea. I'm on beta blockers, which makes it worse. My doc wasn't concerned as long as my numbers are above 90. When standing I'm in upper 90s.

As long as it is not dropping into the 80's I wouldnt be too worried. :) The pulse ox measures the oxygen saturation of your blood. For patients who are hypovolemic the pulse ox is pretty much useless because typically your blood is as saturated as possible (so you will have high readings). The high readings in hypovolemic patients do not accurately measure the actual oxygenation of your body tissues.

Rissy2D, you mentioned that.....

"For patients who are hypovolemic the pulse ox is pretty much useless because typically your blood is as saturated as possible (so you will have high readings). The high readings in hypovolemic patients do not accurately measure the actual oxygenation of your body tissues."

Would you expound on that please? My daughter has EDS and POTS/NMH.

I like the meter for the rate info. But, with some of her wild fluctuations at times, it gags and has to reset in order to keep up. I don't know if there is a different one that can more accurately follow her (that doesn't cost $$$$) but I think it's good enough to give us a decent sense of what's going on.

Thanks

Thanks - that helps just get an overview.

Standing and moving is fine but lying and sleeping are always low 90's and I have started snoring. Suspect this might be EDS.

Am seeing the sleep neuro this week so will report back.