Already Depressed And Florinef?

I entered into my 3rd year of being sick. After about 8 months of getting better I got worse and it almost seemed like the bad days were harder since I had a taste of feeling better. I started to notice signs of mild depression. Well I started exercising and eating better again and felt like I was improving. Then my grandmother very suddenly and unexpectantly passed away after her shoulder surgery. We were very close and the events have lead me down a path of even more clinical depression. It's terrible!

Should I be worried about starting Florinef since it can cause depression and I'm already depressed? Or maybe it would make me feel better and help me pull out of the depression? I'm so torn and don't have a good doctor.

Ashelton80: I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I remember from previous posts that you seem to have significant hypovolemia. I do as well. I was tested at Mayo and found to have severe plasma volume depletion. Florinef helped me greatly and I have no side effects. I could tell a diffence within 24 hrs. For me the combo of high salt, fluids and Florinef is key. Florinef w/o high salt or vice Versa was not nearly as effective. I take Florinef 0.2 mg daily. If you do start the Florinef be sure to get your potassium and magnesium checked periodically.

Ashelton- I was hesitant to start florinef for months. Finally I had to stop salt for a test and felt so ill that I figured maybe that was a clue and it would be worth a try. I am only on 1/4 pill so far and plan to work my way up slowly. I think it helps me a bit so far.

HyperPots- How much salt are you taking and in what form? I add a tsp over the day into liquids. Wonder if I need to increase that. And do you supplement with magnesium? I take Potassium.

LMG: I adjust my sodium intake based on my weight b/c I notice some variability in my volume status. On average, I take 5-6 gm in addn to what I get from my heavily salted diet. I mostly use NaCl tabs but also count Lipton soup in the 5-6 gm added to my diet. I take both magnesium and potassium.

So sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing. That kind of grief certainly adds a heavy load to an already difficult situation.

I have had issues with depression in the past (post-partum related) and wasn't feeling depressed when I started Florinef. I noticed a fairly significant onset of depression when I took the florinef. Stayed with it for 9 months and the depression did seem to improve after a couple of months. Didn't find the Florinef to be much help personally compared to the side effects it caused for me. But like everything else with this problem, you will have to try it yourself as we're all so different. If it helps you become more functional again, it may help with your overall emotional state in the long run.

Good luck! Sending you lots of hugs.