Kind Of Off-Topic Medical Related Question

CharmedLinz

Didn't think this should go on the main forum, but if it should be moved by all means to the moderators go for it. I posted here since I figured all the great minds might know the immediate answer.

I was sifting through a quick envelope of very old letters belonging to one of my Great Aunts.

Was actually looking for a picture.

What I found was something very interesting.....

Quick background....

My Maternal Grandmother was 1 of 5 kids, all girls. All had endocrine health problems.

One passed away at an early age in 1945 of "unknown" causes.

My Great Grandmother, who I could be her identical twin, passed away young too at the age of 52. Supposedly of Bright's Diseases, but now this note I found I am questioning.

I've been trying to find out all I can about family history since we see a Geneticist this fall.

So this little note was written by on of my Great Aunts, not sure which one yet.

It states that in 1933 my Great Grandmother was taken to the hospital because her leg and foot were getting gangrene.

She tested positive for, quoted "the horrible disease" and "all 5 children had to be immediately tested".... "two of us tested positive including me" this sister was 18 at the time.

It then goes on to say that the 2 that tested positive for the "infectious disease" had to start treatment immediately.

The treatment continued every 3 months for 3 years, after which they were tested every 6 months and this sister that wrote this letter said after her 3 year treatment her check every 6 months was clean.

So...... any ideas on this mystery disease???

pneumonia was one of the most dangerous and infectious diseases also in the 1930's ....although I dont know if it would lead to gangrene....also diabetes mellitis and septicemia (blood infection) was common and I believe those illnesses could lead to gangrene.....the 1930's is when they just discovered sulfa antibiotics...bloodletting as treatment apparently was common also......not sure if any of that is helpful :)

Bren