Stopped Taking Metoprolol . . . Fatigue Much Much Better

Has anyone else found Metoprolol to cause extreme fatigue? Oddly, I'd been on it with the exception of one week for 9 months, so I don't know why the fatigue suddenly became so bad and wouldn't have thought it was the metoprolol, but two people (one my nurse friend who has POTS, and one my cousin who is a doctor who specializes in chronic illness) told me that it can cause extreme fatigue, at the same time that I was experiencing extreme fatigue, so I took that as a sign to go off of it. I didn't notice improvement in the fatigue right away; it took maybe two weeks. But now I feel like a whole new person, and I'm wondering how much of my recent crappiness was POTS, and how much was the Metoprolol. I'm fairly new to all of this and I'm guessing this is a common experience - just a ton of trial and error and guesswork.

So anyway, I'm really really hoping I maintain how I'm feeling now. I had gotten so fatigued that I was getting in bed every night at 8 (but not falling asleep, of course). My husband would ask if I wanted to walk across the street to get dinner from the food truck, and I wouldn't even have the energy to do that. It was so awful. I wouldn't have guessed it could be the Metoprolol (I was on 25 mg. once a day) but my improvement is so marked that I have to think it was.

So now I'm not on any prescriptions, I'm just guzzling water mixed with EFS and exercising 4-5 times a week. I was supposed to see my cardiologist this week but I had to reschedule, so we'll see how I do over the next six weeks.

Hi Shannon, I'm so glad your feeling more energized. That's great news!! Your working out a lot too, that's great that you find the time with the two little ones. I wish I had more time to hit the gym, I signed mine up for the kids club @ the gym and then they got a nasty bug woo hoo! Lol.

My fingers are crossed that you are on the road to recovery!!!

Hi Shannon,

I also had been on Metoprolol during my pregnancy and until 8 months postpartum. I felt markedly improved within a week or two after I quit taking it, so I thought at the time that maybe a lot of my symptoms had been caused by it. I'm really not sure though, because some of it could've been a magnesium deficiency, but it is interesting. I know I slept better once I got off of it - I literally could NOT fall asleep for a single nap during the entire pregnancy, though I so desperately wanted to, and I suspect it was due to the Metoprolol. Ambien helped me sleep at night, but naps were absolutley impossible. Did you experience that, too? I'm glad you feel better now that you've stopped it!!!

Mytwogirlsrox/Shannon - thanks so much. I work out at home and I have a toddler who naps well, so that helps. I also have a sitter come 2 afternoons a week so if the baby is fussy, I can just hand her off and concentrate on working out (I was also going jogging when the weather was cooler, but I live in a very humid place that gets hot over the summer, so I'm not expecting to run much until the fall). When the fatigue was worse the babysitter was all that got me working out because I would think, "I can't pay her $25 for sitting here while I take a nap!"

After my first child, I worked out a normal amount for a new mom, I think . . . maybe 3 times a week, 4 at most, for half an hour on average. Now that I know how important exercise is to my ability to function, I'm choosing longer workouts, and I work out 3 days in a row unless I'm POTSy. If I couldn't get in a workout during nap time, I call my husband and tell him I'll need to workout when he gets home. It's just higher on the priority list now. That's hard because sometimes I don't cook dinner or clean or go to the grocery store so I can get in a workout, and as a result the home stuff isn't where I want it to be. But if I'm sick from POTS I can't do any of those things either, so I know it's got to be the top priority. Plus I want to lose the baby weight so it's good in that regard too. ;)

Are you still living with your parents? Are they able to watch the girls while you work out? And hopefully they won't get sick any more at the gym - maybe their immunities will build up. Hope so!

Wendy, interesting, I'd read about a magnesium deficiency being common and want to ask my cardiologist about that.

You're right; I really didn't nap during my pregnancy. I'm not usually a napper in general, but I did nap some after the baby was born. I remember during the first trimester (when we didn't know what was wrong with me, just that i couldn't get off the couch), my brother-in-law was like, if you're so tired, why don't you just nap? And I realized that I wasn't lying down because I was tired, which was an odd connection to make. Now it makes sense, of course.