Beta Blocker

If you are on a beta blocker which one are you on? Why were yo put on that one? What side effects or benefits do you notice? Thanks...my doctor is talking about switching up my beta blockers but she is not exactly sure which one so I'm wondering what everyone else's experiences.

On Metoprolol for 1 1/2 yrs now. I really don't know how my cardio picked this particular BB. I have not had any poor side effects. It has slowed my HR about 10-15 beats per minute whil upright (it hasn't cased a drop in my supine HR.) It took quite a few months in combo with florinef (which I no longer take) to see the positive effect. I started at only 12.5 mg (lowest dose) 1x/day. Now I take 12.5 mg 2x/day.

I am currently on propranolol, 20mg twice daily. Thinking of bumping it to 30mg twice daily. I was on atenolol before (just what the cardio prescribed when I went off of diltiazem), a very small dose (25mg/day). My autonomic neurologist switched me to propranolol instead because it acts in the CNS (as opposed to atenolol which just acts in the heart) to decrease sympathetic nervous system drive in the hypothalamus (I have problems with being spacey, and am quasi-hyperPOTS, hence the switch). I haven't actually noticed it being any better than the atenolol minus the fact that the atenolol made me very fatigued; if anything I think the atenolol was maybe a bit more effective for me (but it made me very, very tired).

Side effects from the atenolol were possible weight gain (hard to sort out) and extreme fatigue. Propranolol for me has very few side effects, probably some mild fatigue but it's hard to sort out.

I am on Propranolol ( Inderal ) LA 60 mg BID ( total 120) I was on 80 BID but have managed to taper to 60 for now. I have not found anyone on this site on as much of this, but I was not originally put on this for POTS and it may be part of my POTS problem. After tapering off of it this year, under the doctors slow taper, my symptoms were awful I had to go back on it.

Prior to this I was on Propranol 20 years for an incidental tremor, and later mild HTN and was only diagnosed with POTS this year, and have only had POTS symptoms for 2 1/2 years.

I cannot use Propranolol, even the long acting under the recommended once per day dosing for the long acting. ( for instance 120 LA once instead of 60 twice a day. ) This is because it drops my HR quite low initially and then it rises back up by 24 hours to a resting tachycardic point.