Adrenergic Storm- Finally Found A Name For These Surges-Why Does It Say They Are Deadly?

Kim-I'm not adding the whey for protein I'm adding it because it is supposed to up are glutathione levels and that our body biggest defense..

Also I'm not vegan but everything in moderation. The okinawan study is a great book to read. Okinawans live the longest out of anyone and they dont get diseases or cancers at all eat traditional foods..

Rich, Clonidine hasn't lowered my bp too low. In fact, it has more stablized my bp - from extreme swings in both directions. It is more on a level now then it was before. And it does help those surges of noriepi release. But, it does seem to cause more dizziness and fatigue. I'm told with time this should level out. I'm waiting for that. It does seem to cause me to have more edema - but, I have EDS veins and that is another whole issue.

Issie

Rich,

Imho, i wouldn't use studies to determine what foods suit your body. We're all different so our bodies require

different foods and that we avoid certain foods. Not to mention, imho, most studies are flawed.

I don't know if you have leaky gut but if you do certain

proteins that should go through your digestive tract without causing a reaction will now trigger an immune

system response. If you're interested in learning about this listen to dr terry wahls ted video. There's nothing

new about this. It's just not been taken seriously by drug reps aka our doctors.

Learning about the functional medicine approach to health vs traditional or even holistic where they try to put bandaids

on symptoms should explain this too. The marketing industries have a hold on healthcare, traditional and holistic, and we patients / consumers are prey.

Tc .. D

Whey isn't a drug and it's not being prescribed by doctors its being studied by science labs but the main stream alternative doctors are the ones suggesting it among many other supplements. Apparently they test straight but glutathione but it doesnt help to add to our levels..

Supplementation

Raising GSH levels through direct supplementation of glutathione is difficult. Research suggests that glutathione taken orally is not well absorbed across the gastrointestinal tract. In a study of acute oral administration of a very large dose (3 grams) of oral glutathione, Witschi and coworkers found "it is not possible to increase circulating glutathione to a clinically beneficial extent by the oral administration of a single dose of 3 g of glutathione."[25][26] However, it is possible to increase and maintain appropriate Glutathione levels by increasing the daily consumption of Cysteine-rich foods and/or supplements.

Calcitriol, the active metabolite of vitamin D synthesized in the kidney, increases glutathione levels in the brain and appears to be a catalyst for glutathione production.[27]

In addition, plasma and liver GSH concentrations can be raised by administration of certain supplements that serve as GSH precursors. N-acetylcysteine, commonly referred to as NAC, is the most bioavailable precursor of glutathione.[28] Other supplements, including S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe)[29][30][31] and whey protein[32][33][34][35][36][37] have also been shown to increase glutathione content within the cell.

NAC is available both as a drug and as a generic supplement. Alpha lipoic acid has also been shown to restore intracellular glutathione.[38][39] Melatonin has been shown to stimulate a related enzyme, glutathione peroxidase,[40] and silymarin, an extract of the seeds of the milk thistle plant (Silybum marianum), has also demonstrated an ability to replenish glutathione levels in lab rats.[41][42]

Glutathione is a tightly regulated intracellular constituent, and is limited in its production by negative feedback inhibition of its own synthesis through the enzyme gamma-glutamylcysteine synthetase, thus greatly minimizing any possibility of overdosage. Glutathione augmentation using precursors of glutathione synthesis or intravenous glutathione is a strategy developed to address states of glutathione deficiency, high oxidative stress, immune deficiency, and xenobiotic overload in which glutathione plays a part in the detoxification of the xenobiotic in question (especially through the hepatic route). Glutathione deficiency states include, but are not limited to, HIV/AIDS, chemical and infectious hepatitis, myalgic encephalomyelitis chronic fatigue syndrome ME / CFS,[43][44][45] prostate and other cancers, cataracts, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, radiation poisoning, malnutritive states, arduous physical stress, and aging, and has been associated with suboptimal immune response. Many clinical pathologies are associated with oxidative stress and are elaborated upon in numerous medical references.[18][46][47]

Low glutathione is also strongly implicated in wasting and negative nitrogen balance,[48] as seen in cancer, AIDS, sepsis, trauma, burns and even athletic overtraining. Glutathione supplementation can oppose this process, and in AIDS, for example, result in improved survival rates.[49] However, studies in many of these conditions have not been able to differentiate between low glutathione as a result of acutely (as in septic patients) or chronically (as in HIV) increased oxidative stress, and increased pathology as a result ofpreexisting deficiencies.

Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are associated with lowered glutathione. Accruing data suggest that oxidative stress may be a factor underlying the pathophysiology of bipolar disorder (BD), major depressive disorder (MDD), and schizophrenia (SCZ). Glutathione (GSH) is the major free radical scavenger in the brain.[50] Diminished GSH levels elevate cellular vulnerability towards oxidative stress; characterized by accumulating reactive oxygen species. Replenishment of glutathione using N-acetyl cysteine has been shown to reduce symptoms of both disorders.[51]

I've used milk thistle for years. It helps with liver function and I just recently added alpha lipoic. I'm finding it is giving me more energy. Milk thistle does a whole lot of things - it can help with moods too. Since in chinese medicine anger is associated with liver dysfunction - milk thistle helps with that and depression. I've also heard that the best source of glutitione is with NAC. Since dairy can be associated with autoimmune issues - might be better to try a supplement rather than a dairy source.

Issie

Just had something else pop into my head. I used this years ago and attribute it to healing my really messed up digestive system and colon when I had ulcerative colitis. I also have a friend that uses it and he has reversed his Crohn's disease. It's Symbiotics Colostrum - I use the Immune Formula. It will boost glutathione and most that may be sensitive to dairy - seem to tolerate it. You may feel worse to start with as it has some detox properties. But, it also helps with mood and general feelings of well being.

Issie

I think I'll have more whey protein berry shakes!! :) Thanks for the post, Rich. I have also been thinking I need milk thistle again and the alpha lipoic acid. I used to take milk thistle, when I was on Zocor for hyperlipidemia, because of it's effects on the liver, but since I am having malabsorption problems as of late, the positive is that it has lowered my cholesterol naturally...lol. :rolleyes: Hopefully I am NOT starving myself. I have trouble with very cold drinks, too, as it stimulated peristalsis, but doesn't seem as bad when I'm really hot :unsure:

Really, can't say enough how valuable the Colostrum is. I had terrible issues and it really made a huge difference. Not sure the whey - since it is definitely a milk product with those protein solids will be digestable for those, if there are digestive issues. But, I guess if you get more flatulance or more problems - you'll know what's doing it. :)

Issie

Rama I read and why am I not surprised the research was done by your favorite POTS author ;)

But you can see from those studies that almost all severely ill groups have lower Glutathione levels, def dont think its a present day cure, but I hope someday researchers find some major Glutathione activators to aid the healing process in all illness..