What Causes Gi Issues?

micheller

I've always had intestinal issues since birth. Spend my first 2 years at Children's Hospital to figure it out. No diagnosis came from it. It got so severe that I ended up having a colostomy 6 years ago. I gained a ton of weight (almost 50 lbs in 3 months) but didn't really have any problems, felt great. Then 3 years ago I got pregnant with my daughter (3rd child) my problems increased horribly. I barely ate my pregnancy, that's when my pots really kicked in. I slept 90% of my pregnancy, barely got off the couch, had to have someone come take care of my boys because I just couldn't do it. I had severe reflux, ended up having the nissen in 2009, that didn't work so had a redo 5 months later. The redo didn't work so had another redo in Dec 2010. My GI did a scope and said my wrap is twisted, herniated, and broken down. So something isn't working right. My whole digestive tract is so malfunctioning I can barely eat, constantly nauseous, my intestines just don't work. My neurologist thinks it's all from the pots. While I know pots can disrupt every body function but I don't know why it affects the digestive tract so severely. And what kind of treatment there is if it's the nerves misfiring. Any input would be great!

Have you have a gastic motility test? I see you take domperidone. My GI symptoms improved after my GI docs found I had delayed gastic emptying and an esophageal infection. I started taking domperidone 4 times a day and following a gastroparesis diet. The thought being that the there is dysfuntion in the nerves controlling GI motility. Zofran made things worse for me I think becasue it slows motility down by acting on the vagus nerve.

I've had the motility test which came out normal. I was prescribed domperidone for the nausea which somewhat helps but I can't get it in the states. I used to order it from Canada but they can't ship it to the states anymore. I found a site I can get it from New Zealand but it's so expensive. I have a few left that I use as a last resort. I was just thinking that if the nerves aren't working correctly, if there's a shock therapy type thing to jump start them, pulling at straws maybe. I've tried every med and diet possible with no help. I know a lot of people suffer with GI issues

My daughter's primary symptom of POTS is GI-related (nausea, stomach pain). She has normal gastric emptying and every other GI test has come back negative. It's possible that it could be from more blood pooling in the GI system or an autonomic overreaction. She is now on Florinef but it's not helping her GI symptoms so the doc is starting her on Mestinon tomorrow. Will let you know if it helps.

I take Domperidone 20mg before meals and at bedtime (4xday). I get it in America thanks to someone sharing on this site from America's Compounding Center. You can google them. I had my GI doctor from Cleveland Clinic send them a prescription. I do pay for it out of my pocket. It really does help me with nausea and eating. I have Gastroparesis and am on a lowfat/fat free diet with 6 small meals or more a day. I also make smoothies in-between and stay hydrated with G-Series Gatorade. You are welcome to pm me.