Not Impresse With the Clinic I went So Far, I'm Just Old? At 33?

shoegal

The doctor was running very late and was very rushed. He ordered me thermotabs vs my current salt loading/potassium pills. He says this is better, so I'm doing now 2,000-3,000 salt + 1,000 + of potassium. I should go to 180mg salt and 15mg potassium?

He ordered a few labs, stuff I've only just had done. So far they are "in range" but the ranges dont mean a whole lot. Just basic stuff like b-12, vit D, ferritan. All just done.

When I asked about all my medical problems which are autonomic plus a lot more and other docs have said they think it is mito. He said, well you know you are aging, maybe this is just you are getting old. I'm 33.

So if I can't walk, My BP is very low esp when I stand, I almost pass out daily and all the other issues are from "being old"?

I expected more info and more understanding. I was disappointed esp given the long drive there and back

Bahaha. That made me laugh so hard. This seems to be a typical diagnosis. Really doctors????? I saw a cartoon and it was a very sick person and the doctor came back with some paper work and it read,..."Well all of your blood tests are normal, so you must be crazy." You know if something is not right, don't let him get you down!!!!!

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I went to 17 doctors before I got diagnosed. But it's worth the drive to Dr. Goodman in AZ at Mayo Clinic. I had a terrible time driving and got sick the entire way there a few years ago. But it was worth it. And if not Mayo, I'm sure if you put where you are, someone can chime in with a better doctor than that. That's ridiculous.

Hang in there.

Maiysa

Edited by corina

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience. My daughter had a very positive experience with that doctor. She had been to over 15 doctors (including the Mayo Clinic in Arizona and the this doctor was the first to really explain to her what was going on with her body).

I hope you get some answers soon!

Edited by corina

I'm 37, so I guess I should plan on being in a old age home next year based on that guy's dx! :rolleyes: That's ridicuous!

Just to give everyone a good (and sarcastic) laugh, I had one doc after taking my history for 45 mins., ask me "Well, when was the last time you had a boyfriend?" He really actually was implying that that was my problem. Needless to say that was the one and only visit with him. (And he was my mom's endocrinologist so she fired him too. :P )

I am sorry you had that experience. This autonomic doc read my original autonomic tests and has always been very generous with his time to discuss my case with my NP and treating autonomic neurologist. I wonder if his autonomic lab is fully operational, as I had read somewhere he is having a hard time getting what he needs. Still, this is no excuse for his "aging" comments.

Not off to a great start for a new practice.

he said I have had enough testing. Ummmm Ive had some labs. a yearly MRI (for a tumor). Not really a lot of testing to me. He didn't even do the BP checks etc. the cardio does.

Maybe he was having a bad day? I don't know. I know I went through severe traffic to get there and they wanted me there early. When I was running late they didn't say 'hey it's Ok he's running late anyway" they told me I had to rush.

Was 10 hours to get up early, get there, have lunch and drive back. A long day to me.

Hi shoegal,

That's awful. So sorry you had that experience! It's bad enough when it takes so much effort to get through these long appointment days. If it makes you feel less alone... about 7 years before I was diagnosed but starting to have autonomic symptoms here & there, my then-PCP told me - with a sarcastic wink & a nod - that I must just be going thru early menopause when I asked her why I was sweating so much all the time! "hot flashes" at age 26!! I found a new PCP ;) hang in there...

(null)