Loss Of Sense Of Smell :(

brethor9

Hi all

Just wondering? For almost 3 weeks I have been dealing with complete loss of smell. It literally just came on suddenly.....I have had no cold, infection or anything that could explain it. I am still able to taste which makes it even odder. If it was sinus related or allergies would it not affect your taste also? The only thing I can think is it could be a medication side effect; I am currently taking florinef, clariten, zantac,lorazepam, magnesium and a beta blocker. The only medication that I have started in the last couple months is the beta blocker. Every other med I have been taking for over a year.

Anyone have any ideas? :( My GP isn't much help.......says its all POTS.....

Thanks

Bren

Sorry Bren for your new symptom,

I wish I could help, but I have not experienced anything like this, nor have I read about it as being a POTS symptom. Then again, with POTS anything is possible. Did you mention this to your POTS dr (sorry, I don't know if you're fortunate to have one)? Or maybe your pharmacist? I know there are also several websites (rxlist.com, askapatient.com or drugs.com) where you can look up possible side effects of meds.

I am also taking florinef and a beta blocker (propranolol), I took lorazepam before, as well as magnesium supplements but had no such side effect.

Just a curious question - aside the point here. How's your potassium level given the amount of florinef you take? I'm taking less than you (.2 mg) a day and still have to supplement with lots of potassium pills.

Take care

Alex

• 2 months later...

Hello Bren,

I am new to the forum with no official diagnosis yet but am sure I have pots and maybe more...Recently along with my dry eyes, My sense of smell has become very poor. I only smell something if I am right on top of it. I've had dry mouth for years so I always thought my taste was less acute in part due to it. With my dry eyes (or maybe sense of smell problem) I can cut up a huge onion and not shed a tear, or have burning of the eyes-nothing. Sorry you are experiencing this but glad I am not alone

Debbie

Thanks Debbie! and I am very sorry to hear you are struggling with this as well :( I had an appointment with an ENT recently would felt it is likely related to nerve issues and that my olfactory nerve may be damaged....he said if thats the case there is nothing that can be done about it.....very distressing :( I also get the very dry eyes......POTS the gift that keeps on giving :( hugs

Bren

Ooof, Bren, so sorry to hear. No head trauma at all - concussions etc? I know that the bony plate that the olfactory neurons go through between your nose and your brain is delicate (and shifting it can cause permanent loss of smell), but if you haven't fallen recently then that seems unlikely. Might just be a med side effect. No fun. My father has been mostly unable to smell since birth (he thinks very strong roses are very, very lightly scented), but he also (like you said) can't taste much of anything. Good luck!