Another Tremor Question???

My doc told me last night tremors are light shakes and not violent jolts. What I refer to as tremors are more violent jolts along with a muscle twitch. Its similar to the feeling you get prior to falling asleep in high school. You snap to real quick and are startled. I get them in various parts of my body or full body. I get a lot of them prior to falling asleep or when I'm resting.

Discuss

Is a tremor like shivering? Do you feel cold when it happens?

No totally different. I shiver when I'm cold - that's different.

A tremor is a steady movement that you can't stop by thinking away. With my hands you can see it better - there is a fast movement - it's not real pronounced but small and fast.

Do you remember Aubrey Hepburn - her head shook like a little bobble dolls. She had essential tremor - they think I have that too - but, I don't have it all the time. My head does that bobble shake - sometimes worse than other times. An essential tremor in the hands usually is noticed with reaching out - the other type of tremors are all the time - even when not reaching - just in quiet sitting.

Sometimes, my legs do it too and I'm worse on one side than the other. I feel the internal tremor too - like a shakey, nervous feeling and it is in waves. Stress, and tirdness make it worse and also if I over exercise or use my muscles too much. When I was so bad - I couldn't get myself up out of a chair - I had severe ataxia and gait issues. That's when they had me on all the wrong meds - thinking I had Parkinsons. I had give away weakness - I'd be strong one minute and then my muscles would just give up on me. They think I have some mito issues because of this. I haven't noticed it as bad since I got off those meds. I still have periods when exercising that my feet and legs will just refuse to pick up. Like okay - I'm done and I give up - but, my mind and body feels like I can do more - but, my legs won't pick up. When that happens to get into a car - I have to use my arms to pick up my legs to get into the car. It's very frustrating. No one really has an answer as to what or why. I just have accepted it for what it is and I'm glad it's not all the time.

I tried to describe it the best I could - can you see the difference in a cold shiver and a tremor? A cold shiver is more pronounced and harder - a tremor and essential tremor are more subtle and faster and not as jerkey - smoother.

Issie

Yes, thanks for explaining. :) I shiver a lot when I'm cold, and I think I've only had tremors once and it was at the circus. I was trying to open one of my bottle of pills but I was having trouble because my hands were shaking. My dad was watching me and I think it really freaked him out because that has never happened before. I know it wasn't shivers because it was actually really hot in there...

I get the shakes really badly when I eat. That's one of the symptoms that I'm in the hospital for with the eating problems I'm having. I also develop tachycardia and do a whole lot of other things, but shaking is one of the big symptoms I absolutely hate.

I have Addison's, and I'll shake when my cortisol level is too low, as well. Basically, I spend a lot of time shaking.

Linda