Anyone Tried Ativan

Christy_D

We started my son on Ativan yesterday for nausea. Can't tell if it has an impact yet since it completely knocks him out. He was so out of it that he didn't even remember eating lunch, and it was one of his favorites.

I don't want to give up on it so fast since it did help him once in the ER when it was in his IV. He built up a tolerance when taking Doxepin that it no longer knocks him out so I'm thinking he might be able to build up a tolerance for the Ativan as well. My concern was that he had no recollection of lunch and it is more than putting him to sleep.

Anyone else have any experience with Ativan?

Christy

I've only had it once when I had an ER visit. Sent me into lala land. It was a very mellow feeling. Got to say - I enjoyed the ride. Not sure, how it would be on a daily basis. I'm so sensitive to meds anyway. It is for anxiety - RX wise, if I need something for anxiety I take a very mild oldie medicine called Serax. Not sure if that would help naseau - but, seems like it works on the same receptors.

Issie

No experience with Ativan, but other benzos. I am so leary of benzodiazepines - for me a terrible withdrawal and post withdrawal. You probably already know this, but I feel a duty to warn people just in case. I understand your position though - he needs to feel better. If you decide to stick with it, maybe he'll adjust eventually as you said. However, I wouldn't spend too much time on it if it isn't helping. Ugh - it's such a catch 22 with this type of medication.

I also had Ativan at night while hospitalized. I took it a few nights, but it didn't seem to agree with me, so I stopped it. I had lots of core trembling about 1/2 hour after taking it and it didn't help me sleep. One night I didn't sleep at all. The nurses expected me to be sleeping soundly and were quite shocked to see me still awake.

I did read that it is known to have an amnesia effect.

Thanks for the insights, I am going to monitor this one closely. I also won't leave him unattended while he is taking it, med's don't usually have this kind of effect on him. They either work or don't, but haven't experienced to many side effects from other meds.

Amnesia effect....very interesting.