Don't Get Completely Numb With Novacaine

gertie

I've noticed the last few times I had to have dental work done my tooth never gets completely numb no matter how long they wait or how much novacaine they use.

It's not the dentist because I've been to more than one & it's the same with each dentist. When I'm having a tooth filled I can't help but jump when they hit a nerve that is not numb. I've had the dentist stop & ask me in a not too friendly tone "am I hurting you mam?" I respond yes, but go ahead & finish the procedure because I know it won't get better. I'm not a candidate for more sedation. Do you think this could be caused by Dys? I do have a lot of trouble with nerve pain, migraines & seizures.

I have another dental appt & am already feeling the stress. I do take a small dose of Ativan b/4 going but it doesn't help the tooth pain. Thanks for your help.

I have read that marcaine is better for those with dysautonomia for a numbing agent. I'm going on Thursday, and already feel your pain! :unsure:

I'm not hypermobile & I have had marcaine but I think I had the same response to it. Every dentist seems to have their own preference as to what they use for numbing. I know that without epi the numbing effect doesn't last as long. It seems I get so nervous in the office that my blood vessels shut down & after I leave the office I relax & blood flow starts again & then my tooth gets numb. I know that sounds ridiculous but that's how it feels sometimes. Thanks everyone.

For me, the injection of the novacaine is often far worse than any pain they might generate from hitting a nerve, so I try to go without. For me too, the pain relieving function of it seems minimal, especially compared to the pain of the injection itself. Without epi, any numbness is gone in about 3-5 minutes with me.