Ssi (Adult Disability Report)

Darlene

I am in the beginning stages of filing for SSI. I just completed the adult disability report online. It says to send it some additional paperwork and any medical records. I have very few medical records, but I did list every doctor, my diagnosis, and there phone number. Can't they just call the doctors I have listed and have them send my medical records?

i know it can be a huge job notherndarlene, but i would prefer my docs to communicate via me. in the past i've had doctors communicate wrong paperwork which got me in a lot of trouble so i now want to be on top of it.

if i were you i'd ask all my files, go through them and copy and send them, it's a lot of work but at least you know what's written about your situation. i think you also need to add a list about your medication (which, when, how much) and the things you do to make life easier (you might have someone helping you with household, babysitters etc.).

I sent them whatever records I had, but they still contacted the Dr's and asked them to send my records. Some didn't send them in a timely manner and I had to chase after them to comply. So even if you send stuff, they might request records from your Doctors anyway. You want to make sure they have any records that show abnormal test results and any diagnosis.

I learned with social security the more you can send them the better. My lawyer sent them over 300 pages of test results and Dr notes. He said it's better to flood them with information than to leave question marks for them. For my case though the most important paper work was the documents from the Dr's explaining the condition. The judge told me I didn't fit in a social security catagory illness. So it's important they know as much about your condition and limitations as possible.

Naomi.... The judge said POTS wasn't in the list of illiness or diseases. None of their experts knew enough about it. So they went on my Dr's opinion's for their experts. I spent about 15 minutes with the judge. I did get SSDI after 2 denial's and meeting with the judge (2 1/2 years). I'm not sure if it's different from state to state.

It did not cost me any money for my medical records but it cares by hospital. My sister is the manager of our Health Information Mnagement dept which includes medical records- so she just sent me a zip drive the other day so I have PDF lies of everything and CDs of all my radiology scans. It's not special treatment- anyone can request it that way :) But I e signed a release for her to have access so I get mine a little faster.

I definitely recommend getting your own personal copy of ALL of your records. My sister goes a little overboard but. Have I have binders filled with paper copies that we started years ago, I have CDs with all of my records and I have it in email. And unless I need a specific record for a certain doctor, I update it every six months. But I had an incident at Mayo when they didn't have a file from an appt just 2 weeks before- I just called my sister and she emailed it right to my phone. It is good to have your own to bring to appointments and also review yourself. I JUST found a CT scan that was taken a year ago and I was told was normal- but after I read it- states: significantly dimunitive posterior communicating artery.....so the conclusion stated that in the conclusion findings- all in lowercase letters for whatever reason- then in bold capital wrote- otherwise unremarkable CT because they were looking for a hemorrhage after a concussion. When I looked up this condition I realized it remarkably increases my risks for an aneurysm- which my grandmother, great-grandfather (her dad) and his brother all died from in their 50's- sudden deaths. Also, head trauma and migraines add to the risk. One warning sign is dilated pupils which I have always, but my left pupil is about 20% larger- same side as the small artery. Good news- now ( or a year ago I guess when it was done) I had no sign of an aneurysm in that artery but I definitely am at a higher risk. And I have a connective tissue disorder (which I do) that increases. So you can imagine I was NOT happy to find this information out myself! Bviously, my neuro only read the "unremarkable" or maybe this dimunitive communicating artery thing is not anything to worry about. From what I've read- it is a definite risk, but I've never spoken to a doctor about so I don't KNOW. I hope it is NO big deal because I already have enough wrong with me LOL. So sorry to have gone off on my personal tangent and nothing annoys doctors more than when you interpret your tests and question them... LOL but regardless- I will be bringing this up- hopefully to be reassured.

All of that said- its a good idea to have your own copies should you ever need them. :) And good luck with your SSI. I'm also in the process but luckily tha application part is behind me. They didn't ask me for records but to provide dates for each appt. lab, procedure, radiology, etc. Are you KIDDING? Lucky for me, I receive some help from an organization called Western Wisconsin Cares because I need home health care and therapy, etc... So I have a nurse and social worker and my social worker did 95% of my application!!!!

Jen

I literally just started my application. I'm almost betting I get denied the 1st time around. It's going to take a good lawyer to describe POTS to them and organize all of my medical docs. I have good records but I really only have one POTS doc that I saw 2-3x and his writing is like scratch.. I hope they deny me quick to I can appeal quickly with a good lawyer..