Long Term Florinef Ok?

Rama, about 16 months and counting, but weaning down. My PCP said she would be ok to put me on it "for life" if she felt I needed it -- she doesn't. Haven't had any issues being on it that long (except for the nasty never ending headache I've had for the last year and half, which is why we are weaning), but when I tried to get off in January after being on it a year my adrenals crashed b/c I did it too fast.

Know you were concerned with some jitteryness, etc. when you started. Hope that calmed down for you.

• 2 weeks later...

rama,

I went on it in Feb 2011 at .1 mg. (Can't tolerate a higher dose than that.) When I had the bad reaction to prednisone and swelled so badly last month, my immunologist told me to stop both the prednisone and florinef to try to get as much of the edema out of me as possible. I quit both cold turkey and didn't have any ill effects. I have not gone back on the florinef and am no worse for that decision either...my BP and HR have nt changed from where they were on the drug.

Rama, I've been able to come down another .025 dose (now at .05), and so far so good. My highest dose last year was .15. I had a couple of adrenaline rushes / bp dips the first few days I was on the lower dose, but it seems my adrenals have stabilized now after about a week. I'm giving it another month before my next step down. My bp has come down a few pts (from 110 to 105 and 100s), but still in ok range and not symptomatic. All that is to say is that if you use this stuff long term (which I read to be more than a month or two), you can taper off of it so long as no underlying adrenal disease and your adrenals will recover.

Hi Rama,

I was on it for a little over 2 years at 0.1 dose once a day. I quit cold turkey and suffered no ill effects. I did feel better on it as long as I kept my salt intake consistent. Increased fluids has never been a problem but my stomach was getting tender from the salt so I decided to give my body a rest.

I don't have a problem getting back on but I have read that it interferes with the thyroid gland. I have also read that that some of the halides are not healthy so I have thought about using licorice root instead. I have used it in the past and did not feel any side effects.

Marti