Need Help With Compression Stockings

FarmerAmy

I have been wearing compression stockings for the last few weeks and they make all the difference in the world for me. I have a pair of Jobst stockings that are thigh-high and have an open toe. The open toe is great, but I am having trouble with the thigh-high part. They have a silicone band around the top that helps keep them up, but not if I am walking around.

I have tried wearing full-length stockings, but I can't stand having to wrestle in and out of them every time I go to the bathroom (which is about 50 times a day!!)

The thigh-highs are much more convenient, but they slide down if I am moving around. I'm thinking of trying a garter belt. Would that help??

Really what they need to make is a pair of full-length compression stockings with a "trap door" like they had in the old-school red flannel pajamas :)

Any suggestions? The compression stockings make a huge difference for me, but there has got to be a better way than pulling them back up every few minutes.

Thanks!!

Amy

That's funny, Amy! I have a pair of the same style you mention, from Juzo instead, and they only slide down maybe an inch every couple of hours. So, that isn't a big deal for me to pull them back up. They do get better/tighter for the first day after I've washed them, I notice. I wonder if maybe it is just the brand you have that doesn't hold up as well? Or maybe they are too big (or too short?) for you? I am 5' 9" and I thought that maybe they'd be too short, but so far, so good. Are you taller than me? That could be why, if so. I'm glad they help you. Mine are great, too!

Yes, there is a glue like stuff - it's called "It Stays". I got mine from For Your Legs, they also have much better deals on the hose. Another trick is to take a little alcohol and clean around the silicone part. The oils from your skin build up on it and then it doesn't stick. Sometimes that will take care of it. It's a whole lot easier to put them on if you use rubber gloves too. You won't stick your finger through them and it makes it easier to slide them up and into place.

Issie

There are also compression stockings that essentially have a built in garter belt. Basically they are like a pair of waist high, but have a large amount of the "underwear" area cut out, leaving behind the waist and hip area of the stockings (similar to apair of chaps).

...or you could wear full length ones and cut your own open gusset .. :) .

I'm pretty much in love with compression stockings too. I wear the full length ones but do not have too much difficulty pulling them up and down to pee. If I had to go very fast though, I would probably just cut my own and maybe reinforce it with some stitching. Solves both issues ;)

I've had a lot of luck with "It Stays" - the adhesive that issie mentions. Otherwise my thigh-highs fall down a lot. One thing that seems to help is to *not* wash the silicone band in between uses if you are using adhesive - for me the stickiness then builds up and so it holds better after a few days than it did otherwise! Otherwise they do sell garter belts, or there are the chaps (although the ones I've seen are one-sided. I would be nervous to cut holes in them, since the Juzos I have have lots of warnings on the box about not cutting loose threads for fear the whole thing will unravel! But if Rissy has had experience with trimming them I would defer to that.

(edited to add: they do still fall down 1-2x/day, but it's not nearly such an annoyance and I can deal during those times. I just wash the adhesive off with a warm washcloth every night before putting lotion on my legs)