Cholesterol--> Progestrone--> Aldosterone

Title typo :( Progesterone increases during ovulation and also during the menstrual stage. Perhaps another reason we feel terrible. Progesterone is a highly potent antagonist of the mineralcorticoid receptor. It prevents mineral corticoid activation by binding to this receptor with an affinity exceeding those of aldosterone and other corticosteroids such as cortisol. Elevated levels of progesterone reduce the sodium retaining activity of aldosterone resulting in reduction of extracellular fluid volume. Progesterone relaxes smooth muscle (digestion), widens the bronchi, acts as an antiinflammatory and regulates immune response, reduces gall bladder activity, normalized vascular tone, cell oxygen use, affects gum health and tooth decay, plays a significant role in insulin release and pancreatic function. Its supplementation is being researched as a use for ms patients.

Early on in my POTS, I wondered if I might have excessive progesterone. My cycles, which had always been normal, were now sporadic. Also, I knew these affects of progesterone and new it was a "relaxing" hormone. I always felt like my body was just too relaxed, no energy. I was always having medium to large ovarian cysts, and wondered if they were putting out progesterone.

I was wondering, I thought progesterone made you retain water, so I guess I assumed it would up sodium retention and aldosterone? Maybe my thinking is wrong.