Local Anesthesia, Minor Surgery

Hi All

I am having a cyst on my back removed by a surgeon on Fri. All that will be needed is a local anesthetic and it will take all of 15 minutes. I am still feeling nervous about whether I will have a flare up since stuff like this seems to aggravate POTS for me. I have had a breast biopsy and thyroid biopsy since developing POTS and felt badly during and after both.

Any thoughts or experiences on this welcome! :)

I've had lots of minor surgeries under local anesthetia only. Personally, I find that if I make sure they do not use epinephrine, I do SO much better and am WAY less likely to flare. I have had them try to use epi even after I have asked them not to, but I've learned that if an anesthetic has epi in it, it is usually in a red container while if it doesn't, it is in a blue container. Hope it's not too bad!

The epi is usually drawn up along with lidocaine, marcaine, etc to limit bleeding. I recently had a skin biopsy and asked which meds the doc was going to use. I then asked if he could do it without epi. The dermatologist was a bit stunned, thought about it, then when I said I would take an extra stitch, he thought that was a good idea.

Best wishes during your procedure.

Lyn

before I had my POTS DX I had nasal polyps removed (2009) and I woke up after the nose surgery being very Tachy. I ended up staying overnight in the hospital. The only other time before I had my POTS DX that I noticed my tachy was when I was in the ER and they gave me Albuterol for the first time (2006).

For the nasal surgery they gave me Lidocaine but they also put me to sleep. I don't know exactly if its the Lidocaine or something else...

Try to discuss it with a knowledgeable POTS doc first since you have had problems in the past...

I just had a breast biopsy last week with a local anaesthetic. If I could go back in time, I would definitely have asked my doc for IV saline after the procedure and limit my water intake that day.

The doc hit a blood vessel and based on how quickly the blood was coming out, he asked if I was on blood thinners. I hadn't clued in to the fact that all of my water consumption would produce the same effect. He did apply pressure to stop it, but ended up having to work through the blood coming out (for about 10 minutes while he tried to get the sample). As a result of the blood loss, I was knocked down for the week and am still not back to where I was.

This one should be a much quicker experience for you. I had a cyst removed from the back of my shoulder about a year ago and it was such a quick, easy procedure. I found it was really not painful at all.

Sounds like it should be a much easier experience that what you have already been through!

I hope it all goes well for you.

Next on my list is a biopsy of a nodule in my lung...not looking forward to that...

I had a skin biopsy a few days ago and two injections were required. I was worried mostly about the epinephrine too, but it was totally fine. No bad reaction, no flare up. I totally admit to being a big wimp, but we have good reason to be cautious! Good luck with your procedure - let us know how it goes. :)

I would ask for some LA without epinephrine too. I had a minor procedure recently and my doctor used lidocaine with epi. That didn't play nice with my POTS at all and they ended up calling an ambulance due to my HR and BP going really crazy.. was pretty embarrassing!