Any British People take MIDODRINE?

persephone

Midodrine in NOT dangerous unless you 1) take too much or 2) take it close to bed time, which would provoke "supine hypertension" and could cause a stroke.

However, if your blood pressure is low consistently, then that's what the medication was created for and approved for. It's been approved in the US for at least a decade or so--and I believe the US is much stricter with pharmaceutical approval than in most of Europe.

I took it for many many years without a single bad side effect. Also, it only stays in your system for 4 hours maximum, so if you do start with a low dose and have a bad side effect, it will be completely out of your system rather quickly.

Typical dosing is to take upon waking and then every 4 hours, being sure to take your last dose AT LEAST 4 hours before bed. Also, you can start as low as 2.5 mg, or even 1.25 (half a 2.5 tab). My average dose was 7.5mg every 4 hours, to as much as 12.5.

Maybe if you tell your doctors you'll sign a release saying you're not going to hold them responsible for any side effects you incur, perhaps then they'll give you the medication? BTW, I thought you could get medications without a prescription in much of Europe? Perhaps you might sidestep the doctors on this one as long as you are clear on the instructions for how to use the medication--and tell the docs that you're going ahead without them?

Good luck! Nina

I have the same problem - my GP flatly refuses to prescribe it (cited monitoring, and cost), so Consultant writes me a prescription (which he's not happy about, cost) which I get filled at the hospital pharmacy. The downside to this is that I then have to trek into central London to the hospital.

First time I ran out I called the Consultant's sec, who spoke to him and then told me to get my GP to write a prescription. Letters (and faxes) flew back and forth, but then I had a hospital appointment and they wrote me a prescription for 3 months. GP still refuses to prescribe.