Good Read On The Interaction Of Serotonin And Other Catecholamines And The Ans

julieph85

http://www.jarcet.com/articles/Vol5Iss4/11Lechin.pdf

I've been thinking a lot about serotonin. It is a vasoconstrictor and causes flushing. It also has widespread effects in the lungs. A lot of us suffer from IBS or bouts of diarrhea. Serotonin there gain. Ssri's are often very helpful in treating IBS and there is a link between IBS and dysautonomia. SsRi's are also helpful sometimes with pots. What's with the serotonin?

Interesting. But, do doctors take all this into consideration. Usually they do things to increase seratonin and maybe it's already too high and the imbalance is some where else. If there are high noriepi levels then (if I'm understanding this right) the dopamine levels are probably too high also. It explains why allot of the meds that are given work on some and don't on others. First, we have to figure out the levels of each and then work with it. But, few docs do this. It would explain why when I had the wrong diagnosis of Parkinsons and they increased my dopamine - it failed terribly. I have high noriepi levels and therefore - my dopamine levels are proably high too. I want to re-read this and see if I'm getting it. If, I'm not - someone please tell me.

Issie

I understand what your saying but its not about dopamine. It's talking about serotonin. Actually I read in one of your posts that tramadol helps you and you aren't sure why. I read that it increases serotonin and I was thinking that maybe why you get benefit from it.

Yeah, that's why Tramadol helps with mood function - it is given off label to those that normal SSRI and SNRI's don't work for. Tried a whole bunch of those and couldn't take them, but this works well for me What they aren't sure about is the great benefit in pain - since it's not a opioid, but seems to work on those receptors. It also blocks glutamate activity - of which I'm super sensitve to. I also use the Saffron.

No the article isn't specifically about dopamine, but it does talk about how it functions with noriepi levels and how there has to be a balance between everything related or there will be dysfunction. I'm not sure that docs check all the levels - they just write a script for what they think will work and then the experiment is on.

I have read somewhere that high NE and dopamine generally mean low serotonin. A few times I took Rhodiola rosea which is supposed to increase serotonin levels and i felt pretty good for a while at least.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. And why the stuff I'm using is seeming to help.

Yes that's what I was thinking too guys. Issie I agree with you. Ive had bad generalized anxiety disorder since I was 16 and the only thing that helped me was Wellbutrin which is a SNRI. It is supposed to make anxiety worse but helped me tremendously. In fact, all the ssri's did nothing. Everything in balance! :)

Wellbutrin was the only med of that type I could tolerate as well. Although, according to the neuro at Mayo and my PCP it's not an SNRI but effects seratonin and dopamine. It definitely helped my IBS symptoms though. There are apparently more seratonin receptors in the gut than there are in the brain though so I guess that makes sense that it would help potentially.

All i know is that SSRIs made me very sick. Big time diarrhea, nausea and low bp. Just writing SSRI sends a ahiver down my spine!

Ive often wondered about seratonin too because of my gut issues. When i sit or stand this in itself can causes bowel cramps and diarrhea. I dont know what my seratonin levels are like but ive got high standing norepinephrine.

I agree that serotonin is definitely involved somehow, or at least the 5-HT2C receptors. I'm still not sure how it all fits in --trying to sort through the mess and understand it a bit better. If you google 5-HT2C you can read some interesting info on it and draw your own conclusions.

One of the ways that Prozac works is through antagonism of the 5-HT2C receptors. This in turn would actually increase dopamine and norepinephrine.

**Issie- Tramadol is also a 5-HT2C antagonist.