Radioactive Egg Sandwich--Yum!

My Dr's are flying me through some tests before I go to mayo. Yesterday I did my gastric emptying study which consisted of eating a gross radioactive scrambled egg and mayonaise sandwich and 4 hours of hanging out at the dr.s office to get imaged every hour. I spent last night in a sleep lab hooked up to electrodes and am finishing the day portion of the study today. Where, they woke me up at 5am and are allowing power naps every 2 hrs. When I go to sleep, I think they watch my eeg to see if I am actually asleep, and once I am, they come in and wake me up lol. On the plus side they brought me some pretty decent French toast for breakfast, and I just had really good Asian food for lunch-- a meal usually not executed well by hospital meal services :)

My Dr's are flying me through some tests before I go to mayo. Yesterday I did my gastric emptying study which consisted of eating a gross radioactive scrambled egg and mayonaise sandwich and 4 hours of hanging out at the dr.s office to get imaged every hour. I spent last night in a sleep lab hooked up to electrodes and am finishing the day portion of the study today. Where, they woke me up at 5am and are allowing power naps every 2 hrs. When I go to sleep, I think they watch my eeg to see if I am actually asleep, and once I am, they come in and wake me up lol. On the plus side they brought me some pretty decent French toast for breakfast, and I just had really good Asian food for lunch-- a meal usually not executed well by hospital meal services :)

I couldn't understand my GI doing merely the 1 bite of radioactive egg/90 min. test. The tech stopped the test when the bite of egg passed the stomach at 90 min., but then the radiology report says it passed in 45 min. (I have GERD from my 5-6 p.m. supper into 10 or 11 at night sometimes, and take omeperazole and ranitadine). I have read the 4 hour gives much better accuracy regarding motility issues. Then the GI never even followed up with me?

In my first sleep study--they had buffet style breakfast/microwave. For lunch they would go anywhere in city and get whatever I wanted (the center paid for the meal). In my 2nd sleep study, it was in a sleep across the street from/owned by hospital. It was early spring and they brought me nice breakfast but eggs were ice cold by the time they WALKED them from the hospital, up the long drive, waiting for traffic light and to get to building I was in. I think I just had juice.

Am glad they're getting these tests in order. I wonder if they'll still have a routine of exploring things in their accustomized way at the Mayo?

It was so hard laying on that x-ray table for 90 min., glad you got to get up and down?

Sending good vibes for your trip.

RubyTuesday,

The four hour gastric emptying test is much more conclusive. My son's stomach emptied fine the first 2 hours and then came to a halt the second two hours. They wouldn't have caught his gastropareisis in just a two hour test. After 1.5 years, they retested him and his stomach empties fine now, or least it did the day of the re-test.

Christy

RubyTuesday,

The four hour gastric emptying test is much more conclusive. My son's stomach emptied fine the first 2 hours and then came to a halt the second two hours. They wouldn't have caught his gastropareisis in just a two hour test. After 1.5 years, they retested him and his stomach empties fine now, or least it did the day of the re-test.

Christy

Christy,

Thanks for the support. I had read that it was the more conclusive, but honestly wonder if the GI didn't order it because of generating more revenue for the failing hospital by another test/visit (and for he/his company, too). I'm saving that question for the day I call him back to ask what happened to his return call to review my test/plan of care. Have to pick my battles. Right now (knocking wood) since stopping the calcuim, vitamin D and supplements I was taking and changing to a nickel free multiple vitamin as immunologist recommended, I'm not quite as nauseated but GERD is sporadic. I know I need scoped again. Am waiting to get these first of the year bills paid to meet the rest of my max out of pocket, then will work on that issue if things persitst (which am sure they will--bathroom day all day Sat. and today started out the same way). Something's got to give.

Yeah, it does glow - they let me watch as they did mine. Of course, I asked if I could watch and would they explain it. They brought the mointor over and explained what they were looking at and where things were as they moved and what the normal times were - etc. It was really quite informative and interesting. I was fine, by the way.

Lemons do you know your results?