How Does One Go About Disability?

Darlene

well, i think i am going to file for disability. i was dx with POTS in 2005, although I have been sick since 2001. i felt like i was on my death bed in 05. since the dx i did gradually get better. even though i could not work, i did not file for disability because i thought i would continue to get better, better enough to work, but i'm not.

i really think there is something else going on besides POTS. but, i guess i will never know. and do not have money to drive to mayo or vanderbilt.

how do i go about disability? can i do it online?

I had multiple Dr's recomend me for Disability and filed at the ss office. But you can do it online. I would suggest getting a lawyer right in the beginning as I got denined twice and then had to go to court for final decision before I got approved this took 2 1/2 years. Also I wouldnt wait to long if your going to apply because it works off of earning and credits. The longer you go the less credits and then your better off with SSI. I was told if I got a lawyer sooner I probably wouldn't of had to wait so long. The lawyers no where and what to get for information and only get paid if you win. But then you have to pay office expenses and Dr report fee's. my fee's were $480 then percentage of back pay which the court mandates.

I'm in the beginning of this process. I had some help through a disability resource group and she helped with everything and actually submitted my application. Should have my face to face soon, according to our office. I am on long term disability thru work (which I think makes me more money than SSDI will) so I'm not really worried about it. And I'm lucky, because IF Social Security denies me, the lawyers at my LTD firm step in and take over. Unfortunately for me, they don't double pay, so if I get awarded SSDI (or whatever the acronym is) my LTD saves a lot of money because they only pay the difference.

I don't know WHY but I am not worried about it ( and I am a worrier) but I just think they will approve me right away. I'm probably crazy because I've heard so many horror stories and how many of you have waited for years, but I just don't see how they could look at my medical records and determine I can work. I've also heard its easier to get approved for SSDI than Long Term Disability thru my HR dept and I was approved right away.

Odd, probably one of the only things I've felt positively about in a long time and I hope I prove to right because a long battle is not something I'm ready for! Good luck to ALL of you!

Jen

i filed on line after my neuro deemed me incompasitated. i still got denied the first time and now i am waiting for what they have to say about my appeal...good luck to you ! it all depends on your doctors notes.. so hopefully your docs write everything down. also it might help to have the docs ut your symptom diary on file if you have made one :)

I filed with a lawyer who specializes in disability cases only. Took me about 1 year 3-5 mths. I was denied the first 2 times, then had a hearing. My main primary doc did not write any type of letter. My lawyer took my many years of er visits, hospital stays, tests, etc and used all of that as my 'proof'.

I didn't have to do anything at all really but fill out a few forms the entire time.

I would recommend an attorney that deals only with disability.