Amino Acid Blood Test

Darlene

Yes, I had mine tested last fall. I had one that was high, glycine, but the two doctors that know about it didn't have anything to say about it. And, this is why I have trouble with doctors:

The reason the amino acid test(blood and urine) were done, is because I had the blue urine thing. It *could* be linked to a problem in tryptophan metabolism. In the doctor's notes, it mentions that he agrees with me to test the amino acids for this certain "disease". I was told everything came back fine. I requested copies of the tests, repeatedly, and it took about 3 months for them to finally send them to me. I look over the list, and they had every amino acid with each result, EXCEPT TRYPTOPHAN!! That makes no sense to me. We test specifically for tryptophan, and I get every other amino acid tested but it. I honestly don't understand if that is something sneaky they did or just plain ineptness! But, I mean, a lab will run all the aminos, so I honestly have no clue how it is not on the list.

Okay, now I'm mad all over again. I will have to make a call and at least see what their explanation for leaving out that is.

Proteins (there are several different types) are made up of amino acid chains. There are also many types of amino acids. Testing for amino acids would be a different test than the protein test. Some amino acids can be synthesized in our body by using the nutrients we eat, however, other amino acids have to be ingested as we can not make them ourselves. I haven't had the testing for amino acids so I haven't researched what it is used for or tells us about our health.