Sore Eyes

Annaliese

I am having a lot of trouble with eye pain. My pupils react to light (i tried shining a torch in my eye) but i think overall my pupils are too big and thats why they hurt. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what do they do about it? Ive tried sunlassses but it doesnt help that much. Mostly i lie down and close my eyes and that reduces the pain a bit but i cant keep my eyes closed all day. I am going to see someone about it but i guess it will take some time to get an appointment. My vision doesnt seem any more blurry than usual and i dont have double vision so i dont imagine its to do with the vergence/ accommodation system but maybe i am wrong.

Are you having headaches along with your eye pain? In my reading about different types of headaches, I've noticed that there are headaches that begin behind the eyes...Just my opinion, but I would be surprised if the pain were occurring because of your pupil size. Do you wear glasses? Perhaps you need them or need a new prescription? That's another common culprit for eye pain.

Hope you feel better soon!

Are they also bloodshot? If your eyes are too dry it will cause pain. I have dry eyes caused by autoimmunity and it can be very painful. The way they hurt less when you close them makes me think they could be dry. I would go to an opthamologist. They will do a simple test to see if your tear production is low. Also, while we are on the subject, have you ever had a positive ANA? If you've never had it tested you should ask your doc to test it.

I have dry eyes and autoimmune issues. All membranes are very dry. My opthamologist put me on eye drops and Rx'd Restasis and told me to use GenTeal at bedtime (the gel). The otolaryngologist added Evoxac (used with Sjorgren's) to moisturize everything but the flip side (while I'm taking it twice/day) is that side effects are the same as the dysautonomia (including fainting). But since swallowing and breathing are necessities of my quality of life, I am giving it a go. I agree that you should have your eyes checked by opthamologist--too many things that could cause eye pain.

Thanks everyone for your help. I went to the gp today and she suggested seeing an optometrist first because its cheaper than seeing an opthalmologist. So anyway i'm going to do that. Julie, just checked my eyes and they dont seem bloodshot. They dont feel gritty either but i could have less fuild than usual because i certainly have less saliva. Potsgirl, no i dont have a headache, its just my eyeballs. I dont think its a glassses problem as ive been shortsighted for twenty years and not bothred about wearing glassss except for driving. The sore eyes started exctly when the dys did.

My eyes get very sore over the course of a day - they unfocus really easily, and it takes some actual muscular effort to refocus (they eventually do on their own, but it's still somewhat painful). As I type at the end of a day, they are sore, but no headache. I hadn't noticed the soreness before you mentioned it (whoo other chronic pain), but now that it's come up I definitely feel it. Pupillary dysfunction is one of my main symptoms, so I'm not *too* surprised...