my rheumatologist is testing me for celiac, well... i just started a gluten free diet a few weeks ago. wouldn't that make the labs inaccurate?

i also had a postive ANA recently, and he is checking for lupus. he did say he didnt think i had it. he did talk about fibromyalgia (which i have been dx with a while back). i asked him what caused it. he said something about the brain, and asked if i have tried cymbalta. does the dr. think i'm nuts? i don't see how cymbalta is going to help stop pain. percocet and a toradol injection doesn't even help.

and i am tired of hearing lose weight and exercise. i am pretty sure that isnt gonna cure the pain.

have they thought maybe i have something they r missing. like mast cell, lyme, or whatever else cause pain

Hi there!

It's all so frustrating isn't it? One of my stays at the hospital connected me with 2 nurses dealing with Celiac themselves. They told me that if I was already eating gluten-free, it may not show because the villi could be healing. I haven't bothered to get the test done because 1) I've been too weak to go through it outpatient and my hospital didn't want to keep me long enough to do it inpatient and 2) my digestive problems have cleared up since I am now gluten-free and Lactose-free. If I stray from my diet, I feel it pretty quick.

As far as the cymbalta, it is used for Fybro pain. Check out their website. My cardiologist suggested he may use it for the POTS symptoms because SSRI's are suppose to work in the brain to help regulate blood flow. I haven't tried it though. I am still on a beta blocker and midodrine.

Hope you have a good day!

the info on celiac testing can be found at www.glutenfreeandbeyond.org in the gluten free 101 section.

I had still significnt damage 17 months post gf, but my serum labs were normal. Stool testing for gluten antibodies is more

sensitive. I'd ask him to run genetic testing too.

My dd had a positive ana for years but never developed lupus.

There's a thread here on fibro and mast cells. Imho, this is a more likely cause of fibromyalgia. It sounds

like he's using the term to describe fibro + cfs. They didn't muddy the water back in the 90's this way.

imho, the reason they want you to lose weight is because toxins love fat cells. I "think", but can't

remember that certain hormones are affected by fat cells too.

More than likely, he's missing out on finding the cause of your pain. He's not trained to look for causes.

Tc ..d