Fluctuating Cold And Hot Feet

Annaliese

For a year my feet have been freezing and now they fuctuate from freezing to warm/hot. Has this happened to anyone else? I started successfully practising biofeedback a few weeks ago (imagining my feet getting warm) so it could be that some of the normal blood flow is returning now on its own due to the biofeedback practice. But i guess what im worried about is that instead of this being an improvement its actually an indicator of neuropathy setting it. I havent lost any feeling on my skin though ( i can still feel the diff between cold and hot). Any thoughts would be really appreciated as im not sure whether this is an indicator of disease progression or regression. For people who do have neuropathy, what does it feel like?

When I was tested for small fiber neuropathy at Mayo, they tested my sensation of vibration, cold and hot. They also did a biopsy to see if I had any demyelination of the small nerve fibers. The only area I tested abnormally in was my sensation of heat. Any slightly warm item on my skin feels much hotter than it actually is. So I was diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy.

One dermatologist diagnosed me with both raynaud's and erythromelalgia (burning, red, painful feet). I do notice that if my feet are slightly cold, they become dark, dusky and cold. If they are slightly warm, they are red and have a painful burning. The Mayo doctor said I had vasomotor neuropathy (the nerves that control dilation/constriction of blood vessels don't work like they used to).

What helps: gabapentin (I'm not currently taking this but it did help), rest, staying cool, elevating my legs, and generally keeping my other POTS symptoms in check as much as possible with fluids, rest, compression, and avoidance of stress.

Hi Annaleise, I have this exact issue as well. It seems that my hands and feet are either like blocks of ice or they feel like they're on fire. My feet in particular really burn at night when I'm lying down, but typically are really cold.

I'm relatively new to learning about all of this, so I don't know much about small fiber neuropathy, but I've wanted to learn a bit more about it because I also have a lot of issues with dexterity in my hands and wonder if that could be neuropathy or if it's just due to a lack of circulation. Sorry I'm no help, but I just wanted to respond since what you described is so similar to what I've experienced as well!

I have this problem too so I try very hard not to let them get even a little bit cold but it usually doesn't help much. I had hoped that if I could stop feeling cold first thing in the morning then I could stop the cycle. I love being bare foot but it seems to make things worse.